Coding Dojo @ Cloudspace Office - Wednesday, Nov 10th 7PM

1 view

caike

Nov 8, 2010, 7:08:11 PM11/8/10
to orland...@googlegroups.com, tetsu yatsu
Hey, Guys!

Just a reminder that we will be meeting at Cloudspace Office this Wednesday at 7PM, thanks to Tetsu Yatsu, for a Coding Dojo session.

Here's the address:

3403 Technological Ave Suite 2
Orlando, FL 32817

Does anyone have any thoughts on the language we should use this time ?

p.s.: The Full Sail Coding Dojo will be this Saturday, but I'll send out another e-mail for that.

--
Att,
- Caike

Lance R. Vick

Nov 10, 2010, 4:53:16 PM11/10/10
to orland...@googlegroups.com, tetsu yatsu
Never-mind. Totally missed this message. >.<

--
Lance R. Vick
Cell      -  407.283.7596

caike

Nov 11, 2010, 10:30:11 AM11/11/10
to orland...@googlegroups.com
Just wanted to thank everyone who attended the Coding Dojo yesterday and also the guys at Cloudspace for having us at their awesome space - and providing great food!

I hope you all had fun!

For those who might be interested, we're doing a Coding Dojo Saturday at Full Sail at 10AM.

--
Att,
- Caike

tetsu yatsu

Nov 11, 2010, 1:51:45 PM11/11/10
to orland...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I missed the discussion. Maybe 10am isn't too early, after all ;p.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in:

for first-timers, the orlando coding dojo website and especially codedojo.com is helpful in understanding what's going on, and should be required/suggested reading before attending!

I definitely appreciate the 'write no production code until you have a failing test' motto, and it's definitely made clear that it's a necessity and not a suggestion. Guidelines on what is appropriate to test would be really helpful, so we don't leave thinking "I'll never waste my time testing all of that".

Switching off between noobs to the language and experts if 1/2 the group isn't familiar with the language.

*Quick* intro to syntax.

Intro to testing framework.

Get consensus on the plan to solve the problem, at least to make sure everyone understands the goal.

Continuing a previous problem, with a plan and testing environment sounds nice

Have two to four who know what they're doing to cycle through first to get a flow going, so newbies can pick up habits before they're up.

That said, I'd like to help out with any future coding dojos I can attend, and I'm going to try to get my coworkers to stay after work for an hour every day, probably open to the public. And Cloudspace is always available.

caike

Nov 11, 2010, 9:12:49 PM11/11/10
to orland...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 1:51 PM, tetsu yatsu <tets...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sorry I missed the discussion. Maybe 10am isn't too early, after all ;p.

Just thought I'd throw my $0.02 in:

for first-timers, the orlando coding dojo website and especially codedojo.com is helpful in understanding what's going on, and should be required/suggested reading before attending!

I guess you meant http://codingdojo.org/ ;)

Totally agree!

I definitely appreciate the 'write no production code until you have a failing test' motto, and it's definitely made clear that it's a necessity and not a suggestion. Guidelines on what is appropriate to test would be really helpful, so we don't leave thinking "I'll never waste my time testing all of that".

Switching off between noobs to the language and experts if 1/2 the group isn't familiar with the language.

Definitely. We also talked about that.

*Quick* intro to syntax.

Intro to testing framework.

Get consensus on the plan to solve the problem, at least to make sure everyone understands the goal.

Yes. We all felt we should've talked a little bit more about the problem.

Continuing a previous problem, with a plan and testing environment sounds nice.

The problem with doing that is that people that might not have been present on the previous session might feel a little bit left out.

Have two to four who know what they're doing to cycle through first to get a flow going, so newbies can pick up habits before they're up.

That sounds good too!

That said, I'd like to help out with any future coding dojos I can attend, and I'm going to try to get my coworkers to stay after work for an hour every day, probably open to the public. And Cloudspace is always available.

Thanks a lot for the support!

--
Att,
- Caike