Categories Announced for the 36th Origins Awards

GAMA Communications <pr@gama.org>

Feb 2, 2010, 8:43:27 PM2/2/10
to Origins Announcements
The Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts and Design is pleased to
announced the eleven award categories for the 36th Origins Awards.
Those categories include: Board Game, Card Game, Family or Party Game,
Roleplaying Game, Roleplaying Game Supplement, Miniatures Rules,
Miniatures Figure or Line, Historical Board Game, Historical
Miniatures Rules, Historical Rules Supplement, and Historical
Miniatures Figure or Line.

The submissions for these categories are now in the hands of their
respective juries, which will produce a ‘long list’ to be voted on by
retail attendees of the GAMA Trade Show (GTS), held March 22-26 in Las
Vegas, NV. The results of that vote will create the lists of nominees
to be voted on at the Origins Game Fair, June 23-27, in Columbus, OH.

The categories in which awards will be given were determined by number
of submissions in those categories. In order to be considered, a
category had to have at least ten qualifying submissions. “I was
pleased to see that the Family or Party Game category, which was new
last year, received enough entries to be given again this year,” said
Tevis. “Unfortunately, we did not get enough submissions for either
the Collectible Card Game or the Play-By-Post category to be
awarded.”

According to the Origins Awards rules, those categories not awarded
this year will be considered again next year. If they fail to receive
sufficient support two years in a row, they will be eliminated. “It’s
my job to make sure that doesn’t happen,” said Tevis. He went on to
say that while his first few months as Chair had not been without
difficulties, he was optimistic about the future. “The help and
support I’ve received from John Ward (GAMA Executive Director), Rick
Loomis (GAMA President), and Nicole Charbonneau (Academy Secretary)
over the last several months has been outstanding. As I start my first
full cycle as Chair, I’m determined to improve our execution, and with
their help, I know we can do it. We began soliciting jurors for next
year’s awards several weeks ago, and I plan to have the juries in
place by GTS. We are going to be proactive about soliciting
submissions in 2010.”

Anyone interested in serving on a jury for the 37th Origins Awards is
encouraged to contact the Chair at pte...@gmail.com by March 1, 2010.