VALKYRIE

Sharon Robak

Jan 20, 2013, 1:46:33 PM1/20/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
I am so happy to hear that the guys will have a new album out soon. I can't get enough of John's heavenly voice. I was saddened though to hear that Steve decided to back out this time around. I will miss him and hope this 'baby' that they have welcomed in works out. He doesn't look old enough to have been alive in any of the guys heydays. As long as I have John I'm happy.ASIA and Duran Duran in the studio in 2013.....what more could a girl ask for.

Joe Kennedy

Jan 22, 2013, 4:09:33 PM1/22/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
How abut a 2013 World Tour? That would be great in support of Valkyrie.

Joe

Lebongirl

Jan 22, 2013, 9:06:19 PM1/22/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Oh boy, you're making me drool (LOL). I will admit that my very first time seeing them, EVER, was this past October in Boston. I brought my concert buddy, who had stopped listening to the guys some time back and is now back on board the ASIA express.  I've been listening since 1982, but my friends never seemed to be into the same music I was back then. I was so impressed by how 'tight' they still are - personally and musically. I'm sad that I I missed out on all those years of tours back in the day,

Kenneth Desmond

Jan 22, 2013, 9:15:58 PM1/22/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Joe Kennedy

In 2010, I bought Asia tickets at Morristown NJ, I bought the best tickets $200 what a totally mind blowing experience my seats were a folding chair on stage behind the certain 10 feet from the band was right on.

-- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Original Asia group. To post to this group, send email to origin...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to original-asi...@googlegroups.com. If you have a Google account, visit this group for more options at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/original-asia?hl=en

Wetton82

Jan 23, 2013, 11:28:37 PM1/23/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com

And my friend Jim and I were right up there next to you on stage Ken.  Didn't you get into an argument with one of the stage guys....or were you the gentleman with his wife who was pregnant?  All the best!

On Tuesday, January 22, 2013 9:15:58 PM UTC-5, Kenneth Desmond wrote:

In 2010, I bought Asia tickets at Morristown NJ, I bought the best tickets $200 what a totally mind blowing experience my seats were a folding chair on stage behind the certain 10 feet from the band was right on.

Kenneth Desmond

Jan 24, 2013, 12:13:28 PM1/24/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Wetton82

That's me how are you doing small world

Wetton82

mbehmazia

Feb 3, 2013, 2:44:10 PM2/3/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Great, anoher so-called guitar "virtuoso". This band was not the same without Steve then, and my bet is that they will not be now. This Sam guy just does not fit with Asia. Nothing against Sam but neither did Pat Thrall, Mandy Mayer, nor did all the others. I'll try to keep an open mind but I have been a die-hard fan from day one back in '82-'83. Not expecting much because I have seen enough body of work to make my mind up. Hoping for the best but Like I said, not expecting much.

Jeff Vargon

Feb 3, 2013, 3:15:18 PM2/3/13
to Original Asia on behalf of mbehmazia
Hey Buddy (mbehmazia)!,

Do you still have your Yahoo "living room"?

Peace,

Jeff

[...]

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Original Asia" group.

mauricio onofre

Feb 4, 2013, 6:52:24 AM2/4/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
Asia fans will notice immediately the difference, Steve and every one of Asia members have become crucial to the Super group; maybe they will eventually have to change the Asia name, God bless their musical souls,

mbehmazia

Kenneth Desmond

Mar 24, 2013, 4:44:42 PM3/24/13
to Original Asia on behalf of mbehmazia

I hate to say this but without Steve there is no Asia.... I would like to see the band retire instead of making bad music.... I also hope the other ban mates aren't continuing for money that's when it gets old.... I was fortunate to be on the same stage with them, that's how I will remember Asia.

Rick Boza

Mar 24, 2013, 5:24:32 PM3/24/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Kenneth Desmond
People said the same thing about Yes after Jon Anderson left the band. Oh, and when Peter Banks, Bill Bruford, Tony Kaye, and Rick Wakeman left. Oh yes, and when Steve Howe left.

It will be different, but that doesn't mean it should be the end of the band. And I say this as a lifelong fan of Steve on the guitar. He's a unique talent and I'll continue tomsee him play with Yes as long as he wants to keep playing, but just because he's left Asia doesn't lessen the talents of John, Geoff, or Carl. Hopefully Sam can hold up his end. I'm still sure I'll see them again when next they tour the States, just as I'll be enjoying Yes tonight in Hollywood and next week in Clearwater.

Joe Kennedy

Mar 27, 2013, 6:32:31 PM3/27/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
While I respect your opinion, I can honestly say that I know that the members of the band and Sam included are not continuing for any other reason than they are rejuvenated and feeling that they have new music to offer their fans.

If you were a fan of the band going back to its inception, we all remember the dark days of 1983 and 1984 when John was out and then back in and then Steve left the band and did not return until the reunion in 2006. I think it is important to say that Steve leaving the band was an amicable decision as he wished to focus on other projects and all four original members are on extremely good terms and endorsed the belief that if the band wished to continue and had new music and new ideas to offer, it was a good thing to do. We all know that since the reunion in 2006 it was important especially over the course of the last three studio albums that the band establish itself and put forth what fans had wanted for the last twenty odd years; which was the original four. Bandmembers themselves have readily been quoted as saying that it had to be the original four otherwise the fans would not buy it. I think with the release of XXX that the band has come full circle and has also set out and accomplished all the things that it wanted to do.

Bringing on board Sam or another guitarist was going to be the only way that the band could continue because Steve looked to be leaving too pursue his other projects. I also think Steve would be the first person to say that the band does not begin and end with his participation. Fans of Asia in its heyday know that the last three studio efforts were different sounding even though all four original members were participating because they as well as the band's sound had matured over the last 25 years. I think the next step for the band will of course be a new sound and as many of them have said it will be less fussy, more direct and harder sounding for the band. I enjoyed Astra as an album and while as a fan was not thrilled that the original four could not hold it together, I think this situation is a completely different set of circumstances and I am looking forward to seeing how Sam brings his talents towards improving the band.

All the best,

Joe

Kenneth Desmond

Mar 27, 2013, 8:23:43 PM3/27/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Joe Kennedy

What's really hard is the lack anything that resembles the old Analog music industry, they have to produce and manage themselves... It seems that album's are making a comeback the only recording company in the US, Rainbow Record's is reporting a big interest in vinyl... You say

Fernando Fulgêncio

Mar 28, 2013, 12:25:19 AM3/28/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
"I hate to say this but without Steve there is no Asia.... I would like to see the band retire instead of making bad music...."

I heard that before when Roger Waters left Pink Floyd (and PF made great albums without Roger), when Dave Lee Roth left Van Halen (and VH made great records without Dave), when Blackmore left Deep Purple (and DP made great records without Richie), when Jon left Yes (but Drama and Fly From Here are great), when Ozzy left Sabbath (then came DIO), when Peter Gabriel left Genesis...

 If every band must to stop after losing one original member, there will be no rock music anymore. There will be no Whitesnake, Iron Maiden, Jethro Tull, UK, King Crimson, Uriah Heep, Yes, ASIA...  by the way, UK toured last year WITHOUT Bruford and Alan, but as far as I´m concerned, everyone liked the concerts.

I´m very pleased that ASIA decided to continue without Howe, but if someone thinks that a band with Palmer, Wetton and Downes is not good enough, ok, go listen to.... errr.... hummmm.... I can´t think in anything better than a band with Palmer, Wetton and Downes.

It´s a myth that ASIA only works with the original members. This is completely false, but the band is to blame. They started it, they spread this lie, now they have to live with it.

ASIA making bad music? Are you serious? A band with Wetton, Downes (which are the main writers) and Palmer making bad music? You got to be kidding me.

On Mar 24, 2013 4:12 PM, "mbehmazia via Original Asia" <original-asia+noreply-APn2wQeq95nIsfXsRJIOo0nN8gVs7LzmJeC-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Yahoo "living room"?

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:15:18 PM UTC-5, Conan1982 wrote:
Hey Buddy (mbehmazia)!,

Do you still have your Yahoo "living room"?

Peace,

Jeff

Fernando Fulgêncio

Mar 28, 2013, 12:30:36 AM3/28/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
What's really hard is the lack anything that resembles the old Analog music industry, they have to produce and manage themselves... It seems that album's are making a comeback the only recording company in the US, Rainbow Record's is reporting a big interest in vinyl...

I bought XXX and Fly From Here on vinyl. I will definitely buy Valkyrie in vinyl. Why great albums like Resonance and Spirit of the Night weren´t released in vinyl is a mistery to me. I hate CDs and hate digital formats even more.

mauricio onofre

Mar 28, 2013, 9:34:16 AM3/28/13
to origin...@googlegroups.com
It is kind of odd, but a group is more than making music, it also holds other perceptions from the listener or fan point of view, maybe if Sam would have started with the band it would be much different, but one tries to replace an image, a sound or something that in this case Steve worked involuntary on us,

I hate to say but I told you it would happen, I remember when the Beatles split, we all lived a kind of similar feeling... nostalgia

God Bless, life has to go on,

On Sunday, March 24, 2013 3:44:42 PM UTC-5, Kenneth Desmond wrote:

I hate to say this but without Steve there is no Asia.... I would like to see the band retire instead of making bad music.... I also hope the other ban mates aren't continuing for money that's when it gets old.... I was fortunate to be on the same stage with them, that's how I will remember Asia.

On Mar 24, 2013 4:12 PM, "mbehmazia via Original Asia" <original-asia+noreply-APn2wQeq95nIsfXsRJIOo0nN8gVs7LzmJeC-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Yahoo "living room"?

On Sunday, February 3, 2013 3:15:18 PM UTC-5, Conan1982 wrote:
Hey Buddy (mbehmazia)!,

Do you still have your Yahoo "living room"?

Peace,

Jeff

Jeff Vargon

Mar 28, 2013, 9:44:44 AM3/28/13
to Original Asia on behalf of Fernando Fulgêncio
Your Pink Floyd analogy is not the best; their post-Waters albums lacked both the lyrical and musical complexity of those he wrote, or co-wrote the material on. Listen to "What Do You Want from Me" from the Division Bell. While it sounds "like" Pink Floyd, the lyrics are vapid and the message, empty. Gilmour tried to capture Waters' musical style, but completely missed out on the substance. The only reason they did as well as they did was, as was pointed out in the lyrics of "Have a Cigar" the average Floyd listener had no idea who Waters was, or the influence he had on the band.

With Mandy Meyer and even Pat Thrall, both were competent guitarists and the writing still fell for the most part on John and Geoff. Asia without John Wetton or Geoff Downes, that's a completely different story.