Regarding Function calling from Java client

Sourish Dasgupta

Jul 14, 2015, 5:00:14 AM7/14/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have a different question. It seems that a function written in javascript when called by a java client returns Object. In that case, I do not see how this code, given in the documentation, makes sense in terms of type compatibility:

ODatabaseDocumentTx db = new ODatabaseDocumentTx("local:/tmp/db");
db.open("admin", "admin");
OFunction sum = db.getMetadata().getFunctionLibrary().getFunction("sum");
Number result = sum.execute(3, 5);
Can you please explain the last line? How can a Number variable refer to an Object instance? It might be so that I am mistaken grossly somewhere.

I also find that we might be able to write a Java function in Orientdb provided we connect that with the SQL Engine. Is there a way to use OFunction object (in a similar way as for JS functions), instead of SQL query shooting, to execute the function?

Regards,

Sourish

Giulia Brignoli

Jul 14, 2015, 5:27:35 AM7/14/15
to orient-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sourish,

For the first question, you have to cast instruction "sum.execute(3, 5)" of type Number (like this: (Number) sum.execute(3, 5) , because otherwise you will get an error.

However, for the second question it isn't very clear what would you do, can you explain better?

Bye,
Giulia