[Announcement] Welcome to ArcadeDB, the new official fork of OrientDB!

Lvc@

Sep 1, 2021, 2:44:16 PM9/1/21
to OrientDB

Hi guys, this is Luca Garulli, the original creator of OrientDB. I guess you noticed OrientDB has not had much activity in the last few years. SAP, the new OrientDB owner, is not interested in evolving the project, but it’s only maintaining the current paying clients for another year. That’s why I decided to fork OrientDB into ArcadeDB

ArcadeDB is a new generation of Multi-Model databases. It has a brand new transactional engine, much faster and lighter than OrientDB. The new engine has been designed to squeeze the most of multi-CPUs hardware. Our benchmarks show ArcadeDB is, at least, 10X faster than OrientDB in most of the use cases.

From OrientDB we ported the SQL layer so it’s >95% compatible with OrientDB SQL for the most common use cases. ArcadeDB is Apache Tinkerpop Gremlin 3.4.x compliant, so if you are using OrientDB with mostly SQL and/or Gremlin a porting should be pretty much painless. Nice bonus, ArcadeDB supports also Neo4j Cypher language, MongoDB query language and there is also minimal support for Redis protocol for the key/value model.

ArcadeDB is Open Source with Apache 2 license, so really FREE for any usage, no strings attached.

Arcade Data, the main sponsor for ArcadeDB, is managing ArcadeDB as a foundation, where profits from GitHub sponsorship are shared among active committers to create a new sustainable model for Open Source projects.

I hope many users from OrientDB can at least try ArcadeDB. We’re eager to get your feedback and even better, your contribution with code, test, documentation, and more. I hope we can build together a great community as we did with OrientDB.

To know more about ArcadeDB, read https://blog.arcadedb.com/welcome-to-arcadedb.

Thanks,

Luca Garulli

Founder of ArcadeDB and OrientDB

Andrey Lomakin

Sep 2, 2021, 1:35:08 AM9/2/21
to orient-database
Hi guys,
I am the creator of the OrientDB storage engine and developer of OrientDB.
First of all, let me know that the only person who works on ArcadeDB and was involved in OrientDB is Luca Garulli itself.
The rest of the developers do not participate in this project.
Aso for the official part.
Most of the core team still works on  OrientDB and we have plans on version 4 of OrientDB and beyond.
So there is nothing official in the ArcadeDB except for the part that mimics the principles and model of OrientDB.

As for benchmarks, we are hard-working on new optimizations which will not compromise such features as stability and durability of the database.
All official announcements will be made in https://github.com/orientechnologies/orientdb/actions which is the official OrientDB community channel.

--

---

Best regards,