I was fascinated by a display of the ancient Mexican sport Pelota Purepecha.

AMI...@aol.com

Sep 5, 2011, 3:59:15 AM9/5/11
to orgullo-...@googlegroups.com
I arrived through immigration and customs clean as a whistle -- they didn't confiscate my reporter's notebook, if that counts as a weapon -- and am getting all caught up on a week's worth of Foxboro summer news I missed during my Mexico vacation.

Two thoughts on the vacation then down to business. First, four years of high school Spanish class followed by six years of non-use does not a Spanish speaker make. My girlfriend engaged every warm-bodied Spanish speaker in conversation as I sat with a dumb smile on my face and a margarita in hand. Remember, practice makes perfect, niños y niñas.

Dos, or two, I was fascinated by a display of the ancient Mexican sport Pelota Purepecha. Basically the game combines field hockey and soccer, except the ball is lit on fire. It's definitely not recommended for youths in the Foxboro community, but worth a glimpse on YouTube.