Pollination

Brian

May 2, 2010, 5:33:37 PM5/2/10
to Oregon Entomological Society
Greetings!

I am a graduate student at Humboldt State University (Arcata, CA)
studying Biology (Botany - Pollination Biology).

I am studying the pollination ecology of a rare plant in Oregon and
California, the Golden Inside-out Flower, Vancouveria chrysantha
(Berberidaceae). I am seeking volunteers to assist the counting and
categorizing of insect (primarily bee) visits.
If you know anyone who might be interested in helping me out for a
day, two, or more this spring or summer, please refer them to me.
Attached is a flyer and additional information. It would be great if
you could help me spread the word. Anyone is encouraged to
participate. Just posting this flyer in the Biology office would be
great, or let your students know! My study site is near Cave
Junction, Oregon.

Volunteers will have opportunities to gain skills in field biology:
1. Using a GPS device and other field equipment
2. Plant biology and identification
3. Bee and fly biology and identification
4. The scientific method

Primarily, volunteers will sit still for 10 minutes at a time, and
count/categorize the bees that come by by filling out a data sheet!
I have years of experience working in the field as a botanist with the
National Park Service and offer an interesting and organized volunteer
experience with field work.

Thank you very much!

Brian Dykstra
Cell phone: (616) 558-0404