Fwd: Here's where your voice really matters

Liz Trojan

Feb 4, 2016, 3:46:41 PM2/4/16
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
HJR 205 - Here is what the Dems appear to be pushing related to CFR. I found the text on legiscan. No mention of disclosure.
Liz

https://legiscan.com/OR/text/HJR205/id/1311927

Feb 4, 2016, 6:32:48 PM2/4/16
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
It is defective in various ways.  More later.

Dan Meek

503-293-9021 d...@meek.net 855-280-0488 fax

Dan Meek

Feb 8, 2016, 8:47:15 AM2/8/16
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Below is a presentation of upcoming bills in the way I have done in the past.  Perhaps a more efficient way is to create a Google Doc upon which we all can comment.  So I have done that:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ozr8eivNm6kjXuqO7sU4Lu9mVvok0xAzYocOQf1ji4g/edit?usp=sharing

To make your comments in a different color, click on the pencil icon near the top right of the screen and select "Suggesting"  That will make your additions a different color.  For example, I have added some text in green.

This way we all can see everyone's comments.

But don't use the "Comment" function.  That puts what you write in a little box that you see only if you click on where it goes in the text.  So just use "Suggesting" mode instead.

Bills February 2016

Note:  Where a bill has a very soon hearing date, we can submit the testimony when the bill comes up in the other chamber.

Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment and Yours (use different color text)

HB 4106 Prohibits state agency from relying only upon expediency, convenience, best interest of public, general public need or speculation as basis for finding of prejudice that authorizes temporary adoption, amendment or suspension of rule.

House Consumer Protection
2/9
The Staff Summary says:  "ORS 183.335 contains procedures and timelines for public notice and input in the adoption, amendment and repeal of administrative rules. Section 5 of the statute allows agencies to adopt, amend or suspend rules without the prescribed notice or public process in cases where it finds inaction would result in “serious prejudice to the public interest or the interest of the parties concerned.” House Bill 4106 requires that an agency demonstrate that such findings do not “rely only upon expediency, convenience, best interest of the public, general public need or speculation.”  Slowing down rules without a real justification would appear warranted.

HB 4138 Authorizes Legislative Assembly to request appointment of independent counsel by joint resolution.
House Consumer Protection
2/9
The Staff Summary says:  "HB 4138 empowers the Legislative Assembly by joint resolution to request that the Attorney General investigate allegations of violations of ethics or criminal laws by the Executive Branch. Upon determination of reasonable grounds for further investigation, the Attorney General is directed to apply to the circuit court for the appointment of an independent counsel. The independent counsel appointed thusly will have all the powers of a district attorney including the power to subpoena, to employ local law enforcement or special investigators and to empanel a grand jury. The independent counsel may also pursue civil action for alleged violations of ethics laws."  Having an independent counsel to investigate ethics violations of Executive Branch officials would appear to be a good idea, instead of relying on a Democratic Attorney General to investigate a Democratic Governor.  I support.

HB 4036 Requires each electric company providing electricity to retail electricity consumers located in this state to eliminate coal-fired resources from electric company's electricity supply.
House Energy & Environment
Complex bill with poison pills for new public power entities.

HB 4054 Increases Oregon minimum wage rate in graduated steps to $13.50 per hour by 2019.
House Business & Labor
2/10
This is probably just a vehicle for a guy-and-stuff.  This one sets a statewide minimum wage that increases by $13.50 by 2019.  Perhaps the position we should take is that OPP supports the bill that would establish the highest minimum wage of any bill.  Do we care if the state is split up into urban and non-urban areas for this?

SB 1579 Requires state agencies to provide summary of legal advice regarding validity or effect of proposed rule or written order.

Senate Workforce
2/11
Very simple.  Requires agency adopting a rule to provide "A summary of any legal advice received by the agency regarding the validity or effect of the rule."  I support.

HB 4041 CARRIED OVER FROM THE 2/4/2016 AGENDA: Removes products of seed from statute prohibiting local governments from inhibiting or preventing production of seed.
House Consumer Protection
2/9
The Staff Summary says: "ORS 633.738 prohibits local governments from enacting or enforcing regulations of production or use of agricultural seed, flower seed, nursery seed, vegetable seed or products of any of those seeds. House Bill 4122 creates an exception for local governments acting to protect the production or use of seed or products that are not genetically engineered from adverseimpacts of seeds or products that are."  I support.

HB 4062 CARRIED OVER FROM THE 2-5-2016 AGENDA: Establishes tax on retail sales of inhalant delivery systems and inhalant form nicotine.
House Health Care; will go to House Revenue later
50% tax on vaping systems and E-liquids.  I Support.

HB 4001 CARRIED OVER FROM THE 2/5/2016 AGENDA: Modifies conditions under which landlord may terminate month-to-month tenancy after first year of occupancy.
House Human Services
Increases current 60-day notice requirement for "no-cause eviction" for tenants who have been there for more than a year to 90 days.  I support.

HB 4143 CARRIED OVER FROM THE 2/5/2016 AGENDA: Lengthens required notice periods for certain rent increases and termination of certain periodic tenancies. House Human Services Increases current 30-day notice requirement for rate increases to 90 days.  I support.

HB 4118 Allows person to contest civil penalty in circuit court.
House Judiciary
2/8
Allows person fined more than $10,000 by an agency of government to appeal it to the Circuit Court where the person resides, instead of appealing to the Court of Appeals (which takes years and cannot involve a review of the evidence).  I support.  We have been exchanging emails on this earlier.

HB 4063 Modifies methodology for determining amount of surplus tax credit received by personal income taxpayers under statutory kicker provision.
House Revenue
2/8
It would change the personal income tax kicker from a percentage refund for each taxpayer to the same amount for each taxpayer.  Wow.  That would mean a much bigger refund for small taxpayers and a much smaller refund for big taxpayers.  I support.

HB 4035 Requires Department of Revenue to submit to Legislative Revenue Officer information from Oregon tax returns about certain corporations doing business in Oregon.
House Revenue 2/8
Requires Oregon Department of Revenue to report all sorts of info about corporations' sales, revenue, and income taxes paid.  I support.

Oppose?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comments

Dan Meek

Feb 9, 2016, 8:35:36 AM2/9/16
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
As I have received no comments on the proposed positions, I have been submitting testimony accordingly and filing them at:
http://progparty.org/leg16

I have noted this on the Google Docs page linked below.