Upcoming Bills at Oregon Legislature 02/24/2019

Dan Meek

Feb 24, 2019, 4:53:26 AM2/24/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Independent Party
Your comments and objections are welcome.

Dan Meek

503-293-9021 d...@meek.net 855-280-0488 fax

2019 Oregon Legislature

02/24/2019

Hearing
Date

Dan's Comment

Others' Comments and/or Objections

SUPPORT

SB 487 Prohibits insurers from using credit history or insurance score to decline coverage of, rerate or otherwise determine eligibility for motor vehicle insurance.

Feb 26

A person should not be deprived of the opportunity to drive on the basis of credit score. People need to drive to get to their jobs, and Oregon requires that all drivers have insurance.

SB 438 Allows person issued disabled parking permit to park in parking space otherwise reserved for residents.

Feb 26

SB 300 Repeals exemption from universal service fund charge for radio communications services, radio paging services, commercial mobile radio services, personal communications services and cellular communications services.

March 5

Landline providers have to pay specified amounts into a Universal Service Fund to subsidize phone service for the low income. Cell service is exempt from this fee, thus giving them an unfair advantage over landline providers. Also, landline providers are getting smaller, so the fee collection is getting smaller, because of cell service.

SB 99 Directs Environmental Quality Commission to adopt rules applying certain oil spill prevention and emergency response planning requirements to high hazard train routes in this state.

Feb 28

Needed.

SB 90 Prohibits restaurant from providing single-use plastic straw to consumer unless consumer requests

Feb 28

SB 595 Adjusts allocation percentages of net revenue from new or increased local transient lodging tax to allow up to 30 percent of such revenue to be used to fund affordable workforce housing.

Feb 25

Thiswill allow local governments that have a transient lodging tax (TLT) to re-allocate 40% of those taxes to provide workforce housing. Currently, local TLTМs may only be spent on general fund (30%) or tourism (70%).

SB 684 Specifies requirements for covered entities that own, license, maintain, store, manage, collect, process, acquire or otherwise possess personal information, and for vendors that provide services to covered entities, to notify consumers of breach of security.

Feb 26

Yes, but current law and this bill both have a massive loophole:

(8) Notwithstanding subsection (1) of this section, a [person] covered entity does not need to notify consumers of a breach of security if, after an appropriate investigation or after consultation with relevant federal, state or local law enforcement agencies, the [person] covered entity reasonably determines that the consumers whose personal information was subject to the breach of security are unlikely to suffer harm. The [person] covered entity must document the determination in writing and maintain the documentation for at least five years.

SB 203 Extends sunset for earned income tax credit.

Feb 26

Extends it from 2020 to 2026. No brainer.

SB 758 Increases percentage of federal earned income credit allowable as credit against Oregon personal income tax.

Feb 26

Helps low-income working people.

SB 478 Prohibits campaign moneys and public moneys from being used to make payments in connection with nondisclosure agreement relating to harassment in workplace.

Feb 28

Prohibits using campaign funds or public money to pay porn stars not to disclose affairs with candidates or public officials.

HB 2218 Requires financial institution, when unilaterally closing account, to notify account holder of reason for closure.

March 4

HB 2618 Requires State Department of Energy to adopt by rule program for providing rebates for purchase, construction or installation of residential and commercial solar electric systems and paired solar and storage systems.

Feb 28

HB 2623 Prohibits use of hydraulic fracturing for oil and gas exploration and production.

Feb 28

HB 2614 CARRIED OVER FROM 2/21/2019 AGENDA: Repeals driving privilege suspension and eliminates imposition of driving privilege restrictions for failure to pay fine.

Feb 25

HB 2085 Regulates construction and removal of dams.

March 5

HB 2097 Permits Oregon Government Ethics Commission to issue commission advisory opinions, staff advisory opinions and written or oral advice on interpretation of lobbying laws.

Feb 27

Only if such advice is made public.

HB 2595 Alters period during which former member of Legislative Assembly is prohibited from being paid lobbyist from sine die of next regular session that begins after person ceases to be member to one year after person ceases to be member.

Feb 28

A slight improvement in Oregon ethics laws.

HB 2097 Permits Oregon Government Ethics Commission to issue commission advisory opinions, staff advisory opinions and written or oral advice on interpretation of lobbying laws.

Feb 27

But it immunizes anyone who takes "any good faith action in reliance on an advisory opinion." Should be changed to immunize only any action that was expressly validated by the advisory opinion. "Good faith" is a subjective test. Should instead have an objective test. Should keep the existing language: "action or transaction carried out in accordance with an advisory interpre-
tation."

OPPOSE

SB 218 Authorizes Oregon Liquor Control Commission to refuse to issue marijuana production licenses based on market demand and other relevant factors.

Feb 28

This would allow the Liquor Control Commission to stifle competition in the market for marijuana production, allowing only existing producers to produce it.

SB 621 Prohibits local governments from restricting use of lawful dwellings for vacation occupancy.

March 5

Preempts all local regulation of use of residences as vacation rentals, except to collect a transient lodging tax. Should localities be forced to accept having a large portion of housing transformed into vacation rentals (think AirBNB)? Should that be a local decision?

SB 508 Specifies that electricity generated by hydroelectric facility or other equipment that generates electricity through use of hydroelectric energy may be used to comply with renewable portfolio standard.

March 7

This will substantially reduce the amount of new renewable resources that existing law requires be developed in Oregon. It will also perpetuate hydroelectic facilities that kill lots of fish.

SB 8 Requires petitioners to pay costs and attorney fees, including on appeal, to prevailing intervening developers of affordable developments that were approved by local government.

Feb 25

This will massively discourage public interest litigation regarding housing developments. Already have laws providing for attorney fees against those who bring frivolous lawsuits. This law would require the petitioner to pay the developer's attorney fees at LUBA and on appeal, regardless of the soundness of the petitioner's case.

NEUTRAL

SB 90 Prohibits restaurant from providing single-use plastic straw to consumer unless consumer requests

Feb 28

Really?

SB 805 Provides definition of "major political party" for determining whether specific actions are contributions or expenditures.

Feb 25

This is a work session. This bill never had a hearing; thus, work session is not allowed. This is the anti-Starnes bill to make sure that candidate debates do not have to include minor party candidates.

David Delk

Feb 24, 2019, 12:58:02 PM2/24/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Independent Party
Good with all these positions.  Except I don't understand why we would be Neutral on those two bills. There has been a developing movement to restrict use of plastic single use straws and we should be part of that movement.  Instead of having each city etc develop their own policy, why not have a state-wide policy?

On SB 805, if this hearing is not "legal" because of improper process in getting it to this stage, that should be enough for us to oppose it.  Plus It is in our interest as a minor party that our candidates get into debates.

Many of the others bills are very important.  Good work.

<b>Progressive Party Management List</b>
To post, send email to progpa...@googlegroups.com

David Hess

Feb 24, 2019, 7:17:42 PM2/24/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Independent Party

Thank you, Dan.  I added a comment on SB 90.  I am a paper straw advocate.  Every piece of plastic we can eliminate helps.

David Hess

Paralegal

Kafoury & McDougal

Ph: 503.224.2647

Fax: 503.224.2673

Should be banned entirely.  Paper straws are available and should be used instead of plastic.

Dan Meek

Feb 24, 2019, 9:07:14 PM2/24/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
The plastic straw thing seems to me like yuppy feel-good environmentalism.  Oh, boy, restaurants are banned from automatically providing plastic straws.  I agree that we should ban them completely.  And, if we need a separate law about every kind of piece of plastic, our lawbooks will triple in size.  The state should also ban plastic grocery bags and other merchant bags and plastic laundry bags and plastic bags on newspapers and plastic peanuts for packaging and lots of other pieces of plastic.

So I would say our testimony should say that Oregon should ban all sale of plastic straws, period.

Dan Meek

Feb 25, 2019, 3:48:55 PM2/25/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Independent Party
As I file testimonies, I am posting them here:

http://progparty.org/leg/leg19/

David Delk

Feb 25, 2019, 5:41:02 PM2/25/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Independent Party
Excellent.  Thank you Dan.

Lots of work on these especially this one  http://progparty.org/leg/leg19/sb368_prog3_wanalysis.pdf

Chris Henry

Feb 25, 2019, 6:36:24 PM2/25/19
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, Independent Party
Utterly amazing!

Ditto that... thanks!

--
Chris Henry

Dan Meek

Feb 26, 2019, 6:49:08 PM2/26/19
to Andrew Kaza, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info
It is here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lw-_sVT5YGW0-nOb8DWFm6Z-kHogdkbg0OXeOAtDbXU/edit?usp=sharing

The SNO column designates Support Neutral Oppose on each bill.

To add your comments, scroll to the right and put them under Others' Comments.  You can also get there by hitting Ctrl-- (that is, control and minus sign) a few times, which will reduce the size of the text.

IMPORTANT:  When editing this document, always identify yourself first, like "Sal: This is what I think."  Google Sheets does not have "suggestion mode" like Google Docs, so there is no way to automatically see where the edits are coming from.

I could put the table into a Google Doc, but that would eliminate the ability to sort by columns.  In sheets, you can sort by column.  Select all of the data (ctrl-A), then click on the little arrow at the top of the column you want to sort by.  You can then choose to sort.

I would think it is best to leave the sheet sorted by date.

The testimony I have filed is here:

http://progparty.org/leg/leg19

Dan Meek

Feb 28, 2019, 8:36:59 AM2/28/19
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com

David Hess

Feb 28, 2019, 11:54:33 AM2/28/19
to Dan Meek, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com

These are all excellent.  Thank you.

David Hess

David Delk

Feb 28, 2019, 12:41:12 PM2/28/19
to Dan Meek, progpa...@googlegroups.com, David Hess, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Good job, Dan.  Thank you.

Dan Meek

Mar 5, 2019, 6:41:23 AM3/5/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info

David Delk

Mar 5, 2019, 12:32:54 PM3/5/19
to Dan Meek, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info
I don't think that you meant to support the existing cap on non-economic damages at $500,000.  I think we want to oppose the existing limit and open that up.  I do agree with your concluding sentence:   "Juries should be allowed to award noneconomic damages proven to them by plaintiffs."

Dan Meek

Mar 11, 2019, 7:40:37 AM3/11/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info
I am preparing testimony and updating the sheet almost every day:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lw-_sVT5YGW0-nOb8DWFm6Z-kHogdkbg0OXeOAtDbXU/edit?usp=sharing

New testimonies are posted at:

    http://progparty.org/leg/leg19

It would be helpful if others would consult the Committee Agendas and flag future bills of importance.  Agendas are here:

    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/LIZ/Committees/Meeting/List

David Hess

Mar 11, 2019, 11:37:48 AM3/11/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info

I do hope they will finally pass ballot return envelopes that don’t require postage.

Thank you, Dan.

David Hess

David Delk

Mar 11, 2019, 1:54:11 PM3/11/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, David Hess, Indparty Info

Dan Meek

Dan Meek

Mar 18, 2019, 7:14:59 AM3/18/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info

It would be helpful if others would consult the Committee Agendas and flag future bills of importance.  Agendas are here:

    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/LIZ/Committees/Meeting/List

David Hess

Mar 18, 2019, 8:52:53 PM3/18/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info

The agenda for tonight is attached.

David Hess

Agenda for December Oregon Progressive Party Monthly Meeting. 3-18-19.docx

Dan Meek

Mar 19, 2019, 9:05:36 PM3/19/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
1 more testimony uploaded today:

    http://progparty.org/leg/leg19

I have updated the google sheet:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lw-_sVT5YGW0-nOb8DWFm6Z-kHogdkbg0OXeOAtDbXU/edit?usp=sharing

It would be helpful if others would consult the Committee Agendas and flag future bills of importance.  Agendas are here:

    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/LIZ/Committees/Meeting/List

David Delk

Mar 20, 2019, 3:34:56 AM3/20/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Dan Meek, Indparty Info
these are important

HB 3349CARRIED OVER FROM THE 3/18/2019 AGENDA: Disallows, for purposes of personal income taxation, mortgage interest deduction for residence other than taxpayer's principal residence.    Possible Work Session on 3-20 Human Services & Housing

HB 3335Removes entering or remaining unlawfully in or on public transit vehicle or public transit station as manner of committing crime of interfering with public transportation.  Public hearing 3-25-19  Human Serices and Housing committee
HB 2659Repeals special assessments and property tax exemptions for forestlands covered by timber plantations and nonforested land.
We need to support this.  Proposal is from organizations iinterested in increasing the revenues going to timber counties  Public hearing 3-26 Natural Resources Committee
HB 2709CARRIED OVER FROM THE 3-18-2019 AGENDA: Lists specified types of expenditures that are definitively considered to be made in coordination with candidates for purposes of determining whether expenditure is considered independent expenditure.
Poss work session, 3-20 Rules Committee

Dan Meek

Dan Meek

Dan Meek

Apr 1, 2019, 9:33:23 PM4/1/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info
It is due Wednesday.
April 1, 2019

Oregon Progressive Party

Position on Bill at 2017
Session of Oregon Legislature:

    SB 870:  Support

Dear Committee:

The Oregon Progressive Party (OPP) supports this bill, which would enact the Interstate Compact for Agreement Among the States to Elect the President by National Popular Vote (NPV).

The President of the United States should be chosen in an election in which every vote is equal.  That is obviously not the case now.  The ideal solution would be to amend the U.S. Constitution to abolish the Electoral College and choose the President by means of national popular vote.  But the structure of the U.S. Senate (which parallels the Electoral College) makes that very unlikely.

But a problem with the NPV Compact needs to be addressed.  Under the existing system, the most electoral votes that a single state can control is its own electoral votes.  So damage from unscrupulous state conduct is limited.  The NPV Compact has the potential for allowing unscrupulous conduct by one state (or a few states) to change the outcome of the presidential election.  I have presented this point in my testimony about the NPV Compact to the Oregon Legislature several times over the past 5 years.  I have not seen any refutation of it anywhere.  At the end of this testimony is my review of the nearly nonexistent attempt of National Popular Vote, Inc., to refute it.

In the past, some states have kept major party candidates off of their general election ballots, for whatever reason or excuse.  Alabama excluded Harry Truman from its ballot in 1948 and Lyndon Johnson from its ballot in 1964.  The important point is that states are not required by any federal law to place all major party candidates on their ballots.  If any state were to exclude a major party candidate from its ballot, after implementation of the NPV Compact, the outcome of the national popular vote could be changed.

The NPV Compact (as set forth in SB 870), Article III, is written to allow each state to determine the number of popular votes for each candidate within that state and within each of the other states as well:

Prior to the time set by law for the meeting and voting by the presidential electors, the chief election official of each member state shall determine the number of votes for each presidential slate in each State of the United States and in the District of Columbia in which votes have been cast in a statewide popular election and shall add such votes together to produce a “national popular vote total” for each presidential slate.

* * *
At least six days before the day fixed by law for the meeting and voting by the presidential electors, each member state shall make a final determination of the number of popular votes cast in the state for each presidential slate and shall communicate an official statement of such determination within 24 hours to the chief election official of each other member state.

The chief election official of each member state shall treat as conclusive an official statement containing the number of popular votes in a state for each presidential slate made by the day established by federal law for making a state’s final determination conclusive as to the counting of electoral votes by Congress.

Although the above wording is awkward, it appears to require that every state recognize the presidential vote count in every other state, as provided by the chief election official of each state.

If a state were to keep a major candidate off the ballot, there would apparently be no basis for any state election official to put more than zero in that candidate's column for that state.  If Texas had kept Hillary Clinton off the 2016 ballot, she would not have received most or all of her 3.88 million votes there (depending on whether write-in votes for her would have been tallied).  That alone would have eliminated her national popular vote margin of 2.86 million votes.  If Florida had kept her off the ballot, she would have lost all or nearly all of her 4.50 million votes there.  Simply keeping a major party candidate off its ballot (or otherwise refusing to count votes for such candidate) would enable one or more populous states to swing the entire presidential election, under the NPV Compact.

In 2000, Al Gore received 544,000 more votes nationwide than George W. Bush.  That margin could be nullified under the NPV Compact by the decision of any one of about 30 states to exclude one major party candidate.

Excluding major candidates from the general election ballot is not impossible, as Alabama has demonstrated.  Further, the Oregon Legislature in 2017 considered SB 888 and HB 2909, which would exclude from the Oregon primary ballot and general election ballot any candidate for President or Vice-President who has not (1) publicly disclosed his or her income tax return for the most recent year or (2) filled out the statement of economic interest required of Oregon candidates under ORS 244.060.  Under the NPV Compact, such an Oregon exclusion would reduce the national popular vote total for the affected major candidate by about 1%.  And, if Oregon can impose that exclusion, why can't Texas exclude any candidate who is "under FBI investigation" or who fails to support the Second Amendment?  In national power politics, the potential for skulduggery cannot be disregarded.

The California Legislature in 2017 did pass a bill requiring disclosure of presidential candidate tax returns.  It was vetoed by Governor Jerry Brown.  A different governor might have signed it.  Applied to the 2016 election, that would have reduced Donald Trump's national popular vote by4.48 million.  The New Jersey Legislature passed such a bill in 2017, but it was vetoed by Governor Chris Christie.  Noted constitutional scholar Lawrence Tribe of Harvard Law School has written that such state laws, excluding major party candidates from Presidential ballots, are constitutionally valid.

Laws in other states could disqualify major national Presidential candidates from the state ballots for various reasons, such as:

    >   candidate's failure to maintain lifetime membership in the National Rifle Association

    >   candidate's failure to have run a successful business for a specified number of years

    >   candidate's current or past membership in a labor union

    >   candidate is under investigation for misuse of government email

The reason could be tailored by the state legislature to match the characteristics of the most prominent Presidential candidate disfavored by that legislature.  And the state does not actually have to provide a reason for excluding a major party candidate from its ballot.

At present, Republicans control both houses in 31 state legislatures, and Democrats control 18.  There are 34 states in which one party controls both houses and the Governorship.  There is no federal law to prevent any state from altering its laws so that a major party candidate for President does not appear on its general election ballot or that votes for such candidate are not considered valid.  If the Presidency of the United States is at stake, it is a realistic scenario that one or more of those states would act to tip the national popular vote balance and, under the NPV Compact, change the outcome of the Presidential election.

Without the NPV Compact, these states could not sabotage the Presidential election.  In a deep Red state, the most damage that a state legislature can do now is to ensure that the state's electoral votes go to the Republican, which is very likely to happen anyway.  The same is true in a deep Blue state, ensuring that its electoral votes to go the Democrat.  With the NPV Compact, the saboteur states could determine the outcome of the entire Presidential election by changing the balance of the national popular vote.

National Popular Vote, Inc. contends that keeping a major party candidate off the ballot in a state would meet with such a harsh public reaction that it would not occur.  See http://archive.nationalpopularvote.com/pages/answers/section.php?s=32.  To me, that is wishful thinking.  The reaction in a deep Red state to keeping the Democratic candidate off the ballot may not be harsh at all.  Apparently the reaction of the public in Alabama in 1964 was not sufficient to prevent the state from excluding Lyndon Johnson from the ballot.  The state senate of Maryland has passed a bill requiring that presidential candidates disclose their tax returns or be excluded from the general election ballot.  Has there been a huge backlash against the Maryland Senate?  Was there a huge backlash against the California Legislature in 2017, when it passed a bill requiring that?  Was there a backlash against the New Jersey Legislature in 2017, where such a bill passed with 48-26 and 24-11 margins?  I heard of no such backlashes.

National Popular Vote, Inc. then contends that "the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution provides a strong legal basis for challenging any attempt to create a one-party state."  But it provides zero explanation or documentation or case citations for that proposition.  Similarly, it contends that "the Guarantee Clause of the U.S. Constitution provides an additional legal basis for challenging any attempt to create a one-party state."  Again, they provide no explanation or documentation or case citations, except to an online article that does not at all support the proposition (and in fact argues that the NPV Compact itself is unconstitutional).  Apparently those sections of the U.S. Constitution did not work in Alabama in 1964, and NPV Inc. states no reason to assume they would work in the future.

I believe that the NPV Compact needs to be amended to add this:

If a State fails to place all nationally-recognized major candidates for President on the general election ballot or fails to tally and report the votes cast for any such candidate, the national popular vote total, for the purposes of this Compact, shall exclude all votes from that State.

So, if a state were to exclude Hillary Clinton from the ballot (or not count her votes), then also none of the votes in that state for Donald Trump would be counted in determining the national popular vote winner.  This would deter any state from excluding a major candidate from its ballot.

David Delk

Apr 2, 2019, 1:02:49 AM4/2/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info
Excellent.  Submit it!

Dan Meek

Apr 2, 2019, 2:35:26 AM4/2/19
to Marc Koller, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info
No, not possible.  A strong R Governor in California, by himself, cannot exclude anyone from the California ballot for President.  The exclusion would have to be done by statute, which requires action by both houses of the state legislature.

The flaw in the NPV is quite perverse.  The states with incentive to sabotage the election are those that are heavily Red or heavily Blue, where control of state government is in the hands of a single party.  Under the NPV Compact, those partisans have both the power and the incentive to arrange for the Presidential candidate of the other major party not to receive votes.

On 4/1/2019 11:00 PM, Marc Koller wrote:
Your last point might have one flaw.  It assumes that a state that would exclude both candidates would not do that because they want their candidates votes to count.   However if a state like California who votes heavily democrat has a strong Republican Governor he/she might be fine with excluding all votes.   Not likely but is this possible under your plan?

Sent from my iPhone

David Hess

Apr 2, 2019, 12:15:03 PM4/2/19
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, Indparty Info

Thanks, Dan.  You have a real gift for clearly explaining complex election law.

If you want to get scolded by Nancy Pelosi, you can include the example of Texas passing a 2017 law requiring government contractors sign an oath promising not to boycott Israel.  I can envision AIPAC pushing in every state, supported by both parties, for the exclusion of any presidential candidate who doesn’t sign such an oath.

David H

Sent: Monday, April 1, 2019 6:33 PM
To: Dan Meek <d...@meek.net>; oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com; progpa...@googlegroups.com
Cc: Indparty Info <in...@indparty.com>

Dan Meek

Apr 3, 2019, 7:50:02 AM4/3/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
3 more testimonies uploaded today:

    http://progparty.org/leg/leg19

The new testimonies are quite involved and address the National Popular Vote Compact and two election law bills.

I have updated the google sheet:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Lw-_sVT5YGW0-nOb8DWFm6Z-kHogdkbg0OXeOAtDbXU/edit?usp=sharing

It would be helpful if others would consult the Committee Agendas and flag future bills of importance.  Agendas are here:

    https://olis.leg.state.or.us/LIZ/Committees/Meeting/List

David Delk

Apr 3, 2019, 3:27:15 PM4/3/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dan.   I think the NPV letter should be posted to our website.

Chris Henry

Apr 7, 2019, 2:50:36 PM4/7/19
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
Thanks, Dan!

There is a work session scheduled on the 8th for this Oregon State Bank bill that we should (if we don’t already) support.

HB 3169

I will pour through the testimonies that you’ve already written, on tonight’s trip to Bellingham, where I can load them in my reader and listen (“read”) to them while I drive tonight.

--
Chris Henry

Phillip Norman

Apr 7, 2019, 5:32:40 PM4/7/19
to Chris Henry, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
HB 3169 and its OPP summary are not written as a best-effort Oregon State Bank Bill. A State Bank might accommodate cannabis cash, but that should not be its frontal purpose, and might remain barely mentionable. When will OPP advocate for a real State Bank bill? Surely Rep. Marsh would support something bigger.

Phillip Norman
Lake Oswego

David Delk

Apr 7, 2019, 7:09:20 PM4/7/19
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
Yes, we should support this bill. Creates a "state" bank for the cannabis industry.  Note naturally the Oregon Bankers Association opposes.  The MAPS Credit Union in Salem provided comment pointing out that it has been providing banking service to cannabis industry already.  Was not clear if their comment was in support or opposition.  And Earl Blumenauer provided comment saying he is encouraged by the bill and will work to get federal legislation to faciliate such activity by intrdocing fed eral legislation to provide "safe harbor"for such state banking activity. .

Chris Henry

Apr 7, 2019, 7:32:57 PM4/7/19
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
Thanks, David! That’s amazing!

AOC and Ellen Brown appears to be including a state bank as a way to fund the GND.

--
Chris Henry

David Delk

Apr 7, 2019, 11:02:34 PM4/7/19
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Chris Henry, Indparty Info
Yes, Ellen Brown has written several pieces on public banking and GND. And AOC included public banks as way to fund the program as well.

I would point out that while a cannabis bank would be a form of a state bank, it is not the same as what we talk about - which would be a public bank which does not  have a retail program but which accepts the deposits of government entities for use for the public good.  A Cannabis bank would not accept deposits from government entities and would be focused on providing banking services to the cannabis industry.  That could be called a social good but .... well not quite.

But better to have a state bank doing that than to further empower the too-big-to-fail banks.  This was what the Oregon Bankers Assoc letter said, we have federal legislation to allow big banks to serve cannibas industry and the state of Oregon should just wait and not do anything now.  We will have youcovered soon.  But covered by what and at whose profit?

David Delk

Apr 8, 2019, 2:01:51 AM4/8/19
to Chris Henry, Phillip Norman, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
While OPP supports the cannibas bank bill HB3169, we do not think that fulfills the requirements of a public bank.  You are quite right, Phillip, that a real bill for a real bank needs to be written and introduced into the Oregon legilsature.

However, since that is not happening at least this session. we do support HB3029, introduced at my request by Rep. Allisa Keny-guyer.   This bill would remove the state requirement that all banks in Oregon have FDIC insurance; instead municipal public banks would be exempted from the requirement. This would allow Portland, which has expressed the most interest in doing this, to move forward with creatoin of its public bank.

It appears that this is dead for this session.  But we will work to get it passed in next years short session.  If you wanted to get Rep. Marsh on board with that bill, great.  Thank you very much.  Please let us know of your sucess when you achieve it.

Regards,

Dan Meek

Dan Meek

Apr 29, 2019, 5:18:28 AM4/29/19
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, progpa...@googlegroups.com, cau...@indparty.com, Indparty Info
3 more testimonies uploaded today:

    http://progparty.org/leg/leg19

Dan Meek

Feb 1, 2021, 5:43:35 AM2/1/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil
I have created a Google Sheet that lists bills that Oregon Progressive Party and Independent Party of Oregon should testify on:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gtwp2RTcOMmGR11W0TnvDhmTFoZmmJKg1r0k2Sk0sLY/edit?usp=sharing

These are the bills I have chosen as interesting.  You may want to choose others.

If you have comments, you can create a new column to the right of the existing columns, or you can put your comments in the "Other Comments" column--but identify yourself if you do that.  Unlike Google Docs, Google Sheets does not seem to have a "Suggesting" mode that would automatically identify you.

Dan Meek

Feb 2, 2021, 7:33:09 AM2/2/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil, Nathalie Paravicini, Blair Bobier
I have added Nathalie and Blair of the PGP, in case they wish to participate in our little collective here and join in the testimonies.  Please let me know whether you are interested.

The Google Sheets of bills remains on Google Drive and is editable by all.

I have created a folder "Oregon Legislature 2021" on Google Drive to hold the testimonies.  It is here:

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jDbLAbkuv1_KZMIiX2vcQa4Jj3vUpEls?usp=sharing

It is set so that anyone can view or comment but not edit.  I could set it to allow editing, but that could get pretty complicated.

I have posted there 4 testimonies.  Please disregard any strange formatting, which is an artifact of Google Docs.

Dan Meek

Feb 5, 2021, 8:34:21 PM2/5/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil, Nathalie Paravicini, Blair Bobier, Kri...@sightline.org
I will be updating our Google Sheet with new hearings tonight.

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gtwp2RTcOMmGR11W0TnvDhmTFoZmmJKg1r0k2Sk0sLY/edit?usp=sharing

These are the bills I have chosen as interesting.  You may want to choose others.

Here are election law bills up on February 11.  All look pretty good.
HB 2226
(1:05 pm) Requires ballots returned by mail to be postmarked not later than date of election.

HB 2687
(1:15 pm) Requires ballots returned by mail to be postmarked not later than date of election.

HB 2366
(1:30 pm) Allows persons convicted of felony to register to vote, update voter registration and
vote in elections while incarcerated.

HB 2679
(2:00 pm) Permits person who will be 17 years old on date of primary election and 18 years old
on date of general election to vote at primary election for candidates of major political party with
which person is affiliated if major political party has adopted rule to this effect.

HJR 11
(2:20 pm) Proposes amendment to Oregon Constitution providing for same-day voter registration

Dan Meek

Feb 8, 2021, 9:22:04 AM2/8/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil, Nathalie Paravicini, Blair Bobier, Kri...@sightline.org

I have updated the spreadsheet.  If you want my testimonies to indicate the positions of your organizations, so note on the spreadsheets in columns G, H, or I.

David Delk

Feb 8, 2021, 3:03:13 PM2/8/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil, Nathalie Paravicini, Blair Bobier, kri...@sightline.org, Dan Meek
I added HB2395 to allow additional fibres to be included in definition for use in renewable bags.  Hearing is 2-10 at 1 PM, House E &E.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/oregon-progressive-party-legislation-committee/afddeaa8-d7ae-2f41-8837-1e263bfbe0b6%40meek.net
.

David Delk

Feb 8, 2021, 4:40:10 PM2/8/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil, Nathalie Paravicini, Blair Bobier, kri...@sightline.org, Dan Meek, Salvador Peralta
I would be good with that additional ask.

On Monday, February 8, 2021, 12:41:27 PM PST, Salvador Peralta <oregon.p...@yahoo.com> wrote:

How about also asking them to remove plastic bags from definition of renewable bags currently allowed?  The idea behind the bill was not to end up with thicker plastic bags that will be primarily single-use!

Zero Waste Oregon supports the bill but will offer testimony to that effect.  IDK, about Independent Party, we have not discussed it.

Dan Meek

Feb 10, 2021, 8:08:35 AM2/10/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil

I have again updated the spreadsheet and added 3 testimonies for today.

If you are interested in what the Oregon Legislature is doing, please participate.

The spreadsheet is here:

    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gtwp2RTcOMmGR11W0TnvDhmTFoZmmJKg1r0k2Sk0sLY/edit?usp=sharing

The filed testimonies are here:

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1jDbLAbkuv1_KZMIiX2vcQa4Jj3vUpEls?usp=sharing

David Hess

Feb 10, 2021, 5:25:19 PM2/10/21
to Dan Meek, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil

I also support everything you and David D. support.

My internal comment for SB448 is it is another way to get rid of existing regulations without comment or debate.  An agency could simply let the six years expire and take no action to get rid of regulation.

For SB246, it seems like part of laying the groundwork for “small, modular reactors.”

David Hess

Dan Meek

Feb 19, 2021, 5:54:52 AM2/19/21
to progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil
Now that my 85-hour power and internet outage is over, I have added more bills to the list.

Independent Party of Oregon and Pacific Green Party folks on this list need to weigh in.  Columns H and I are for your comments and opinions.

Dan Meek

Feb 23, 2021, 3:13:08 AM2/23/21
to Salvador Peralta, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil

Hearing on the zero-waste bills is today at 1 pm.  We need Sal's testimony so we can sign onto it.

  • SB 14 Establishes product stewardship program for plastic packaging and plastic food serviceware.
  • SB 581 Prohibits sale of products that make deceptive or misleading claims about recyclability.
    • Please note: SB 582 is being heard for the purpose of hearing testimony on an amendment, based on HB 2065, that would replace the language in SB 582. The amendment will be made available on OLIS as soon as possible.
  • Public Hearing
    • SB 582 Directs Department of Environmental Quality to study and make recommendations for modernizing Oregon's recycling system and provide results of study in report to interim committees of Legislative Assembly no later than September 15, 2022.
On 2/19/2021 3:35 AM, Salvador Peralta wrote:
There are three major environmental bills coming up in the Senate on the 23rd.

This is a policy area that I have tracked in the last year very closely through my work on Zero Waste Oregon (ZWO) that has been badly affected by the Senate's actions, which are to take the work of the last year, stall it, and offer less workable versions of the bills that have been developed.

The plastics bill Dembrow came up with sounds good but is not enforceable, so it would be better if they went with Sollman's version of the bill.  The stawardship bill is a less workable version of the bill DEQ brought that they do not intend to move that was changed into a study bill.

I will draft testimony this weekend on behalf of ZWO and share it with the group this weekend. Progressive Party and IPO are welcome to sign on as members of the coalition on any testimony I send on behalf of ZWO.

Thanks,

Sal

Dan Meek

Feb 26, 2021, 9:11:48 AM2/26/21
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com, statecouncil

I have added another 10 or so bills to the spreadsheet.  They are coming up for hearing on Monday, March 1.