Oregon Progressive Party Bills to Support or Oppose (more)

Dan Meek

May 15, 2015, 10:02:52 AM5/15/15
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Here are bills coming up for hearings in next  week or so.

Please reply to this email.  In the reply, indicate in the left column your agreement (Y) or disagreement (N) with my recommendation for
each bill.

Please reply by May 17.

If you have comments, please add them below mine in the last column.

If you can think of a better way for OPP to take positions on bills, please let me know.

Bills May (third edition)

Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment

Oppose?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comments

HB 3445 Establishes Task Force on Nuclear Power.
House Energy
Has Oregon Legislature appoint a Task Force on Nuclear Power with all members from the nuclear and/or electric power industries, plus someone from OSU (which is trying to develop reactors).  It requires the PUC and Oregon Department of Energy to provide staffing for it, with no limit on the time and money that will be wasted.  Ridiculous.

SB 521 Permits coach to allow member of school athletic team and nonschool athletic team to participate in athletic event or training at any time after athletic trainer determines that member has not suffered concussion.
House Health  Care
Very misleading summary.  It actually provides civil and criminal immunity for any coach of any school who allows a player to play, after having been diagnosed with a concussion, as long as a "athletic trainer" says there was no concussion.  Such a "trainer" is not required to have any medical education or experience whatever.  All that is required is a batchelor's degree with "course work in athletic training, health, physical education or exercise science."  This is just a way to shield coaches and schools from liability for hasty decisions to put injured students back on the field.

Liz Trojan

May 15, 2015, 11:13:31 AM5/15/15
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
I agree with your positions on these bills.
Liz

David Delk

May 15, 2015, 11:34:10 AM5/15/15
to eli...@pobox.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
I agree with your opposition to these two measures.

Dan Meek

May 22, 2015, 7:33:32 AM5/22/15
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Here are bills coming up for hearings in next  week or so.

Please reply to this email by May 24.  In the reply, indicate in the left column your agreement (Y) or disagreement (N) with my recommendation for each bill.

If you have comments, please add them below mine in the last column.

You can add bills of your own in the blank rows.

If you can think of a better way for OPP to take positions on bills, please let me know.

Bills May (4th edition)

Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment

SB 415 A Prohibits distributing, selling or allowing to be sold flavored tobacco products in this state.
Senate Finance
Tobacco should taste bad, not good.

HB 2638 Permits medical assistance recipients and coordinated care organizations to use Oregon Prescription Drug Program.
Senate Health  Care

HB 2704 A Creates exemption to prohibition on recording conversations for person openly recording law enforcement officer while officer is performing official duties in public place.
Senate Judiciary
People should be allowed to audio and video record the police while they are on duty in public places, at the very least.

SB 580 A Allows State Landscape Contractors Board to assess arbitration or contested case proceeding costs to person requesting that claim filed against board licensee be resolved through arbitration or contested case proceeding.
House Business & Labor
Again.  This denies due process to those accused of violations by the agency.

HB 3551 Requires vehicle repair shop to display sign that advises customer of certain rights.
House Consumer Protection
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind.  Well, this is a good sign.

David Delk

May 22, 2015, 10:36:41 AM5/22/15
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
[...]

DD - would that then prohibit recording police in non-public places or would it just leave that question unanswered?
?
SB 580 A Allows State Landscape Contractors Board to assess arbitration or contested case proceeding costs to person requesting that claim filed against board licensee be resolved through arbitration or contested case proceeding.
House Business & Labor
Again.  This denies due process to those accused of violations by the agency.
DD - sounds like you should have put this in the Oppose group, not the support group.
HB 3551 Requires vehicle repair shop to display sign that advises customer of certain rights.
House Consumer Protection
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind.  Well, this is a good sign.
DD -   I would support.

Oppose?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comments

Lloyd K. Marbet

May 22, 2015, 5:07:54 PM5/22/15

On 5/22/2015 4:33 AM, Dan Meek wrote:
Here are bills coming up for hearings in next  week or so.

Please reply to this email
by May 24.  In the reply, indicate in the left column your agreement (Y) or disagreement (N) with my recommendation for each bill.

If you have comments, please add them below mine in the last column.

You can add bills of your own in the blank rows.

If you can think of a better way for OPP to take positions on bills, please let me know.

Bills May (4th edition)

Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment
yes
SB 415 A Prohibits distributing, selling or allowing to be sold flavored tobacco products in this state.
Senate Finance
Tobacco should taste bad, not good.
yes
HB 2638 Permits medical assistance recipients and coordinated care organizations to use Oregon Prescription Drug Program.
Senate Health  Care

yes
HB 2704 A Creates exemption to prohibition on recording conversations for person openly recording law enforcement officer while officer is performing official duties in public place.
Senate Judiciary
People should be allowed to audio and video record the police while they are on duty in public places, at the very least.
no
SB 580 A Allows State Landscape Contractors Board to assess arbitration or contested case proceeding costs to person requesting that claim filed against board licensee be resolved through arbitration or contested case proceeding.
House Business & Labor
Again.  This denies due process to those accused of violations by the agency.
yes
HB 3551 Requires vehicle repair shop to display sign that advises customer of certain rights.
House Consumer Protection
Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.
Blocking out the scenery, breaking my mind.  Well, this is a good sign.

Oppose?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comments

ADDRESS:

Lloyd K. Marbet
18944 SE Bakers Ferry Road
Boring, OR 97009
Phone: (503) 637-3549

Oregon Conservancy Foundation
19140 SE Bakers Ferry Road
Boring, OR 97009
Phone: (503) 637-6130

WEB SITES:

Lloyd Marbet: http://www.marbet.org/

Oregon Conservancy Foundation: http:/www.orconservancy.org/

FROM THE HEART:

You must find the things that you will not accept, that will outrage you. And these things, you must be able to fight against nonviolently, peacefully,
Stéphane Hessel

Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world's estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.
– Susan B. Anthony

Hope has a cost. Hope is not comfortable or easy. Hope requires personal risk. Hope does not come with the right attitude. Hope is not about peace of mind. Hope is an action. Hope is doing something. The more futile, the more useless, the more irrelevant and incomprehensible an act of rebellion is, the vaster and the more potent hope becomes. Hope never makes sense. Hope is weak, unorganized and absurd. Hope, which is always nonviolent, exposes in its powerlessness the lies, fraud and coercion employed by the state. Hope does not believe in force. Hope knows that an injustice visited on our neighbor is an injustice visited on us all. Hope posits that people are drawn to the good by the good. This is the secret of hope's power and it is why it can never finally be defeated. Hope demands for others what we demand for ourselves. Hope does not separate us from them. Hope sees in our enemy our own face.
– Chris Hedges

The truth depends on a general respect for the meaning of words. A word is like a seed, an evolutionary artifact, containing in its DNA the fossil memory of precise meaning. Our words today have the same validity that a kernel of corn does after Monsanto has worked its magic. Our words are like pumpkins the day after Halloween — hollowed out, candle-less, the eyes and mouth shrunken, the inside charred. The reason for this is because it always takes courage for people to insist that words maintain their meaning. Words with meaning prohibit the desecration of the irreplaceable.
– Robert Shetterly

Trees are poems that the earth writes upon the sky. We fell them down and turn them into paper that we may record our emptiness.
- Kahlil Gibran

If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them! But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

True compassion, is more than flinging a coin to a beggar; it comes to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring.

Power at its best is love implementing the demands of justice. Justice at its best is love correcting everything that stands against love.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Terrorism is the war of the poor, and war is the terrorism of the rich.
- Sir Peter Ustinov

To want in one's heart to do a thing, for its own sake; to enjoy doing it; to concentrate all one's energies upon it -- that is not only the surest guarantee of success. It is also being true to oneself."
– Amelia Earhart

Inspiration is not garnered from litanies of what is flawed; it resides in humanity’s willingness to restore, redress, reform, recover, reimagine, and reconsider. Healing the wounds of the Earth and its people does not require saintliness or a political party. It is not a liberal or conservative activity. It is a sacred act
– Paul Hawken, Blessed Unrest

Dan Meek

May 22, 2015, 6:22:21 PM5/22/15
to David Delk, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
I made an error in placing SB 580 in the Support section.  It should be in the Oppose section.

Dan Meek

503-293-9021 d...@meek.net 866-926-9646 fax

On 5/22/2015 7:36 AM, David Delk wrote:
Here are bills coming up for hearings in next  week or so.

Please reply to this email
by May 24.  In the reply, indicate in the left column your agreement (Y) or disagreement (N) with my recommendation for each bill.

If you have comments, please add them below mine in the last column.

You can add bills of your own in the blank rows.

If you can think of a better way for OPP to take positions on bills, please let me know.

Bills May (4th edition)

Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment

Dan Meek

Jun 9, 2015, 7:29:03 PM6/9/15
to oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Here are new bills to support or oppose.

Please reply to this email by June 10 at noon.  AIl of the new bills are up for hearing on June 10 at 3 p.m.

Things go fast in last month of the session.

In the reply, indicate in the left column your agreement (Y) or disagreement (N) with my recommendation for
each bill.

If you have comments, please add them below mine in the last column.

You can add bills of your own in the blank rows.

If you can think of a better way for OPP to take positions on bills, please let me know.

Bills June

Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment

SJR 4 A Proposes amendment to Oregon Constitution to remove provisions fixing age for mandatory retirement of judges and provisions allowing Legislative Assembly or people to fix age for mandatory retirement of judges.
House Rules
Currently the Oregon Constitution makes judges retire at age 75. 75 is the new 50.

SB 294 A Grants Oregon Government Ethics Commission administrative rulemaking authority to assist in commission's enforcement of executive session provisions of public meeting laws.
House Rules

HB 2058 Removes sunset on lobbyist exemption from reporting to Oregon Government Ethics Commission moneys spent on lobbying other registered lobbyists.
House Rules

David Delk

Jun 9, 2015, 7:54:13 PM6/9/15
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Support?
Bill
Committee
Dan's Comment
SJR 4 A Proposes amendment to Oregon Constitution to remove provisions fixing age for mandatory retirement of judges and provisions allowing Legislative Assembly or people to fix age for mandatory retirement of judges.
House Rules
Currently the Oregon Constitution makes judges retire at age 75. 75 is the new 50.
SB 294 A Grants Oregon Government Ethics Commission administrative rulemaking authority to assist in commission's enforcement of executive session provisions of public meeting laws.

David Delk comment: while I am not sure what the above means, it is only half of the bill summary.  The rest says, "Prohibits commission from using rulemaking authority to establish what entities are considered representatives of news media that are entitled to attend executive sessions. And the specific addition to the existing law in part reads: (10) Notwithstanding ORS 244.290, the Oregon Government Ethics Commission may not adopt rules that establish what entities are considered representatives of the news media that are entitled to attend executive sessions under subsection (4) of this section
 I interpert that to mean that the commission can that decide who is the media. Sounds good t me.
House Rules

HB 2058 Removes sunset on lobbyist exemption from reporting to Oregon Government Ethics Commission moneys spent on lobbying other registered lobbyists.

David Delk comment:  I need an explanation of this. It seems that the above description does not really describe what the bill does.  The law would be amended to say "Statement required by this section need not include:...... (b) Amounts expended by the lobbyist on lobbying another lobbyist who is registered with the commission or required to register with the commission, or on lobbying any person on whose behalf a lobbyist is registered or required to register. This paragraph does not apply if the person lobbied is a legislative official, an executive official or a member of a state board or commission."

So I assume that this has been included before and needed to be reported.  Enactment of this bill would mean that such report would not be required.  Why is that a good thing?
House Rules

Dan Meek

Jun 10, 2015, 7:33:30 AM6/10/15
to David Delk, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
Further comments by Dan, in red, agreeing with David Delk.

On 6/9/2015 4:54 PM, David Delk wrote:
[...]

Today OGEC has no authority to adopt rules pertaining to executive sessions of public bodies.  This bill grants that authority, except (under the adopted -2 amendment) does not grant authority for OGEC to define who is a representative of the news media entitled to attend executive sessions.  I think it would be better for OGEC to define that than have each public body define that, because each public body will have incentive to define it very restrictively in order to protect their precious secrets.  So I now recommend that we testify in favor of the bill, but only if the -2 amendment is removed from it.

[...]

David Delk

Jun 10, 2015, 11:27:55 AM6/10/15
to Dan Meek, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com
ON HB 2058 (reporting of lobbyists reporting on lobbyists, I now agree with Dan, support a NO vote.

Regarding the establishment of  who is the media, seems that the bill itself maybe should establish that rather than leaving to OGEC to establish.  But since that is unlikely to happen, I think Dan's approach should be our approach.