Fwd: Promising Changes for Diesel Pollution -- Legislation and Webinar

Dan Meek

Feb 19, 2021, 8:09:31 PM2/19/21
to statecouncil, progpa...@googlegroups.com, oregon-progressive-part...@googlegroups.com

Promising Changes for Diesel Pollution
The legislative session is in full swing, with many bills that have potential to make our air cleaner, from tear gas to wildfires to climate change mitigation. Over the coming weeks, we will connect you to actions and updates as these bills progress.

Given our region’s diesel crisis, we’re particularly focusing on diesel legislation and research that can propel action. Please join us for a webinar where we’ll discuss both! We’ll be joined by Dr. Linda George, PSU Professor, Amelia Schlusser, Attorney with Lewis and Clark’s Green Energy Institute, and environmental consultant Kevin Downing.

When: March 2nd, 4 - 5:30pm
Where: Via Zoom. A link to join will be sent out 24 hours before the event, so register early!

Legislation

While we made progress in the last session with legislation to mandate the transition of older diesel trucks in Portland to cleaner models, Multnomah County remains in the top 5 of counties nationwide for diesel pollution. We’ve long known that reducing diesel would require a multi-pronged approach, so we’re heartened to see a series of bills, including:

HB 2674: Introduced by Representative Rob Nosse, this bill would provide resources for a Clean Diesel Fund to help transition older equipment to newer, cleaner models.

HB 2814: Introduced by Representatives Maxine Dexter and Khanh Pham, this bill would direct the Environmental Quality Commission of the DEQ to begin rulemaking on indirect sources of diesel pollution. Indirect sources like construction, rail and shipping create the largest percentage of diesel pollution in our region. Establishing regulations on these sources is essential to address ubiquitous sources of bad air.

HB 2479: Introduced by Representative Karin Power, this would expand the definition of greenhouse gases to include black carbon and aerosols, and would direct the DEQ to incorporate it into emission inventory efforts and mitigation strategies. Considering that diesel is a significant producer of black carbon, this bill has significant potential to provide immediate benefit to our climate.

Research

In 2018, Oregon DEQ received a $650K grant from US EPA to support air monitoring project to be led by Dr. Linda George at Portland State University. The project, titled: Improving Diesel Particulate Matter Exposure Assessment for Vulnerable Populations in the Portland Metropolitan Area, was to study the public health impacts of poorly characterized diesel emission sources, with particular attention to the potentially significant adverse exposure effects for vulnerable populations, e.g., low-income residents, communities of color, youth, and seniors. As noted in Oregon Health Authority Health Impact Assessments (2013, 2014), these groups are more likely to be affected by air pollution and limited transportation options that contribute to chronic health diseases such as asthma, cancer, heart disease, diabetes, and stroke. This results of this research can inform necessary policies and approaches to mitigate and reduce diesel pollution.

Our work against diesel pollution needs your support -- please go here to keep NCA in the fight!

Neighbors for Clean Air | PO Box 10544, Portland, OR 97296