Re: questions on co-operative & movable housing, followup from Housing Oregon session

Tim McCormick

Oct 17, 2021, 6:51:44 PM10/17/21
to orc...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 4:27 PM Tim McCormick <tmcco...@gmail.com> wrote:
---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Tim McCormick <tmcco...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Oct 7, 2021 at 1:32 PM
Subject: questions on co-operative & movable housing, followup from Housing Oregon session
To: <Rep.Jul...@oregonlegislature.gov>, <zoe.kl...@oregonlegislature.gov>
Cc: Garlynn Woodsong <gar...@woodsongassociates.com>, <Nicole...@oregon.gov>

Dear Representative Fahey, and staff,
I am following up on questions raised in the Housing Oregon conference 12-1pm today session on 2021 Oregon Legislative Session updates, to invite further discussion.

I asked in chat these two question on cooperative housing (and 1st was given to and answered by Rep. Fahey):

1) Q: (especially for Rep. Fahey): what is needed or most helpful for moving cooperative housing options forward, building on the funding for it in recent budget? We at new org Oregon Cooperative Housing Network (https://orcoop.org) are keen to help & collaborate, and thank you for your leadership in this area.

[by the way, here's our Twitter / draft website header, featuring SquareOne Villages' C-Street Co-op development which Rep. Fahey discussed in the session today and attended recent opening of. We're looking how to do similar, many, and soon, in Portland and beyond]:
Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 1.26.49 PM.png

2) observing that mobile-home parks house many of Oregon's (and US's) low-income population, and can be transformed into cooperatives-- can we think about creating new and new forms of movable housing sites? For example, using SB 458 to subdivide sites and enable [initially, at least] villages of tiny houses on wheels?

also, Zoe, I saw that you wrote a thesis paper in 2016, "Outside In: The Litigation Strategies of Tent Cities." I'm very interested in this related topic, and wondered if you'd be willing to share a copy, to me or with your permission to a research-sharing group and bibliography I manage (Settlements Group) with a group of academic & activist researchers?

Thank you all for your progressive and forward-looking work on these topics. 'Bliss it is in this dawn to be alive,' as Wordsworth said. I will also send separately invites to the Oregon Cooperative Housing Network announcements list, a way you can stay notified and share updates if helpful.
regards, Tim.

--
Tim McCormick
Housing Alternatives Network

      Oct 17, 2021, 6:53:00 PM10/17/21
      to orc...@googlegroups.com
      Oct 18, 2021, 1:51:17 PM10/18/21
      to Tim McCormick, orc...@googlegroups.com, Rep Fahey
      Thanks Tim. Here's a relevant Shelterforce article about building on the success of manufactured dwelling park cooperatives, raising the question why aren't we doing the same thing in the muti-family rental sector?

      The vast majority of OHCS funding is restricted to multi-family rental housing and currently cannot be utilized to develop new limited equity co-op where residents own the buildings. That should change.

      Best,

      --

      Andrew Heben
      Project Director,