ORCID for law scholars?

Benjamin Keele

Nov 3, 2010, 1:18:17 PM11/3/10
to orcid-re...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm a librarian in an U.S. academic law library. I think ORCID could be quite useful for legal scholars. To achieve uptake, though, ORCID would probably need to be adopted by some of the major legal information vendors. Berkeley Electronic Press (bepress.com), for instance, provides the Espresso article submission service that is used by virtually all U.S. law journals. So, if Bepress required ORCID, then journals would be more likely to follow. Also, a lot of searching in legal scholarship is done via large databases like Westlaw, LexisNexis, and HeinOnline. Hopefully ORCID will be technically easy for these vendors in include in their proprietary databases.

Ben

Benjamin Keele
Reference Librarian
William and Mary Law School

Martin Fenner

Nov 3, 2010, 2:24:04 PM11/3/10
to ORCID Researchers
Benjamin,

manuscript submission systems will probably be one of the first places
where researchers will be asked about their ORCID identifier. I think
that most journals want to make using an ORCID identifier optional
rather than required, but the submission process obviously becomes
easier. Berkeley Electronic Press is an ORCID Participant so you might
want to talk with them about their ORCID plans. I can provide contact
information if you want - just send me an email.

Kind regards,

Martin

Benjamin Keele

Nov 3, 2010, 5:20:43 PM11/3/10
to orcid-re...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Martin. I know someone at bepress, so I will contact him and see what he says.

Best,

Ben