Public search API rate limit?

Erin Braswell

Oct 21, 2015, 4:51:19 PM10/21/15
to ORCID API Users
Hello!

I'm a developer on the SHARE Project, and we'd love to start using the public search API to query by email to see if any contributors to research objects in the SHARE dataset have an ORCID.  I wanted to make sure we respected any rate limits on the public API before we started making those queries. I had some trouble finding specific numbers for that, does anyone happen to know?

Thanks!

dagr...@gmail.com

Oct 24, 2015, 9:07:34 PM10/24/15
to ORCID API Users
Hi Erin,

I don't know about rate limits, but generally speaking querying by email will not be a good strategy as email addresses are normally marked private and thus not available for searching in the public API.

Regards,
Daryl

Laura Paglione

Oct 28, 2015, 6:01:13 AM10/28/15
to dagr...@gmail.com, ORCID API Users

Hi, we haven't yet set rate limits, though likely Wii next year. Over time the best strategy for matching ORCID iDs to people is to have the person provide an authenticated ORCID iD. You would add a button on your site, usually tied to the person's account, and the button would initiate ORCID providing your system an iD. More details at http://members.orcid.org/api/tutorial-retrieve-orcid-id-curl-v12-and-earlier

If you are looking for general info I just got some benchmarking, we just released the public data file for 2015. You can find it at http://dx.doi.org/10.6084/m9.figshare.1582705.

Best, L

Scott Chamberlain

Sep 13, 2016, 10:42:39 PM9/13/16
to ORCID API Users, dagr...@gmail.com
HI,

Are there still no rate limits? There don't appear to be. At leas there aren't any rate limit headers in http request responses.

Best, Scott

Peters, Robert

Sep 13, 2016, 11:02:44 PM9/13/16
to Scott Chamberlain, ORCID API Users, dagr...@gmail.com
Definitions:
  • Request a second - Number of request that can be made a second.
  • Burst - Number of request we will allow to be queued before rejecting. The request in the queue are slowed down at the request a second rate.
v1.2
  • Request a second - 8
  • Burst - 40
2.0_rc+
  • Request a second - 24
  • Burst - 40
If you exceed the burst, you'll get a 503 responses.

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/orcid-api-users.

Robert Peters
Technical Operations Director at ORCID.org

Cellphone: +1.805.440.9056
Skype: rcpeters
Timezone: PST

Scott Chamberlain