Writing Multiple Works with the Same Identifier

Andrew Devenish-Meares

Dec 5, 2016, 6:06:51 PM12/5/16
to orcid-a...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

We’ve encountered a number of issues recently in the production system, which did not come up in our testing (though this is most likely down to our test data, rather than anything to do with API versions). When users have attempted to use our app to send publication metadata from our repository to their ORCID Record as works.

Specifically, we have allowed them to select multiple works to be sent, and they get errors when multiple items are published in the same Journal or Book, as the API error on multiple items with the same ISSN or ISBN.

Is this really intended behaviour? It seems odd to me.

I imagine the workaround is to send each work as a new work-update process, rather than sending them in batches.

Your input would be appreciated.

University of New England  Rated five
            stars in the 2017 Good Universities Guide for Student
            Experience and Graduate Outcomes

Andrew Devenish-Meares
Solutions Analyst/Programmer
Administrative Applications, Information Services

Information Technology Directorate

University of New England
Armidale NSW 2351 Australia

Skype for Business: sip:adev...@une.edu.au

Phone: 61 2 6773 4098
Email adev...@une.edu.au

www.une.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Number: 00003G

Wilmers, Catalina

Dec 5, 2016, 7:36:42 PM12/5/16
to Andrew Devenish-Meares, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com
Hi Andrew,

The ORCID API is designed to only allow each client to add one work with any given external identifier- this prevents duplicates as any unique identifier should only refer to one work. You'll see the same behavior if you add works individually or as a group.

To allow for works where you are including an identifier that is for a larger set the work belongs to rather than one for the work itself, the relationship field of the identifier can be set to part-of, this allows multiple works to be added with those identifiers. If you're working with 2.0 you can set the relationship field when you add the identifier, if you're working with 1.2 the relationship is set automatically to self except for ISSNs where the type is journal-article and ISBNs when the type is book-chapter, in those two cases the identifier is set to part-of (If there are additional cases you need a part-of identifier, we encourage you to update to 2.0_rc3).  More about this is in an older message to the group at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/orcid-api-users/cYHfHGiKxSY

Best,
-Catalina

Andrew Devenish-Meares

Dec 5, 2016, 8:28:20 PM12/5/16
to Wilmers, Catalina, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman

Hi Catalina,

Thanks.

In our repository, we record the type against the Higher Education Research Data Collection (HERDC) type, and we have a table to map HERDC to ORCID work-type.  Looking at the items in question in this instance, we have:

a. An item that's recorded as HERDC type B1, which we're mapping to book-chapter

b. An item that's recorded as HERDC type A3, which we're mapping to edited-book

This produces the error
Bad Request : Works "Utopia and a Garden Party" and "Branching Out through VirtualPREX: Enhancing Teaching in Second Life"(put-code '745370') have the same external id "9781848881402"

We get this in production and sandbox, using API v1.2.

Is this expected? Should the record holder really only be pushing the book or the chapters and not both?

I'll prompt the Library team to ensure this classification is correct as well.

Cheers

Andrew

Wilmers, Catalina

Dec 6, 2016, 6:48:11 PM12/6/16
to Andrew Devenish-Meares, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman
Hi,

What external identifier type are you sending the identifier "9781848881402" as?

If you're sending an ISBN type identifier it should work as it would be recorded as a part-of identifier for the book-chapter. Any other identifier types the system assumes to be self. Updating to 2.0 will let you specify any identifier type as part-of which will allow you to add the same identifier to multiple items.

Best,
-Catalina

Andrew Devenish-Meares

Dec 6, 2016, 7:01:15 PM12/6/16
to Wilmers, Catalina, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman

Hi,

We're sending this as ISBN.  The generated XML looks like:

    <work-external-identifier>
        <work-external-identifier-type>isbn</work-external-identifier-type>
        <work-external-identifier-id>9781848881402</work-external-identifier-id>
    </work-external-identifier>

Thanks.

Andrew

University of New England  Rated five
            stars in the 2017 Good Universities Guide for Student
            Experience and Graduate Outcomes

Andrew Devenish-Meares
Solutions Analyst/Programmer
Administrative Applications, Information Services
Information Technology Directorate

University of New England
Armidale NSW 2351 Australia

Phone: 61 2 6773 4098
Email:   adev...@une.edu.au

www.une.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Number: 00003G

Wilmers, Catalina

Dec 6, 2016, 7:15:06 PM12/6/16
to Andrew Devenish-Meares, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for letting me know it is an ISBN you're posting. That does sound like an issue with our system, I'll check and let you know.

Best,
-Catalina

Wilmers, Catalina

Dec 13, 2016, 12:52:13 PM12/13/16
to Andrew Devenish-Meares, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman
Hi Andrew,

Sorry for the delay. I've checked with our team and the behavior you are seeing is a limitation of the 1.2 API. With the 1.2 API there's not a way to post the same identifier as both a part-of and a self identifier, and since there is not a way to explicitly express the identifier relationship in 1.2 it's not something we can fix- that's why we're building a new API with 2.0!

I'd suggest you start thinking about moving to version 2.0  which uses the relationship field and will allow you to add these works with their respective identifiers.

Best,
-Catalina

Andrew Devenish-Meares

Dec 13, 2016, 7:21:15 PM12/13/16
to Wilmers, Catalina, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman

Hi Catalina,

Thanks for that.  Not the outcome I'd have liked, but we'll make it work.

Is there a page somewhere detailing the v2 changes and anticipated timeline?

Thanks

ADM

University of New England  Rated five
            stars in the 2017 Good Universities Guide for Student
            Experience and Graduate Outcomes

Andrew Devenish-Meares
Solutions Analyst/Programmer
Administrative Applications, Information Services
Information Technology Directorate

University of New England
Armidale NSW 2351 Australia

Phone: 61 2 6773 4098
Email:   adev...@une.edu.au

www.une.edu.au
CRICOS Provider Number: 00003G

Wilmers, Catalina

Dec 16, 2016, 12:23:02 PM12/16/16
to Andrew Devenish-Meares, orcid-a...@googlegroups.com, Crystal Plowman
Hi Andrew,

The changes for 2.0 and basic timeline are in Github. Each release candidate has a list of changes from the last version starting with the changes from 1.2 to rc1 at https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-model/src/main/resources/record_2.0_rc1/README.md  We'll have a complete list of changes available when the final version of 2.0 is released which we're anticipating to be at the end of January.  You'll see more information about it on this list as well as from ORCID Support at that time.

Best,
-Catalina