ORCID API outage?

Alain Borel

Aug 31, 2020, 2:19:22 AM8/31/20
to ORCID API Users

Dear all,

my application has experienced a problem yesterday (2020-08-30) between 16:24 and 16:33 (
Central European Summer Time), the cause of which appears to be a series of timeouts when accessing the ORCID Public API.

Was there an outage on the ORCID API? Was this connected to the CloudFlare problems that are reported there:

https://www.cloudflarestatus.com/incidents/hptvkprkvp23

?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Alain Borel

EPFL Library

CH-1015 Lausanne (Switzerland)

Message has been deleted

Laura Paglione

Aug 31, 2020, 8:01:20 AM8/31/20
to Alain Borel, ORCID API Users
This page may be helpful for outage information, though it doesn't seem to show anything specific on the date that you mention: http://status.orcid.org/

Best, L

Liz Krznarich

Aug 31, 2020, 8:09:39 AM8/31/20
to ORCID API Users
Hi Alain,

We did not have any outages at our servers yesterday, so I suspect the timeouts you saw were, indeed, related to the issue noted by Cloudflare. The underlying cause was a routing problem with US ISP CenturyLink. Cloudflare reports they was able to route around in most cases, but that some user may have seen timeouts during CenturyLink issue - more info https://blog.cloudflare.com/analysis-of-todays-centurylink-level-3-outage . Please let us know if you continue to see timeouts or other issues.

Cheers,
Liz
---
Liz Krznarich
Tech Lead, New Projects, ORCID
e.krz...@orcid.org
https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6622-4910

Alain Borel

Aug 31, 2020, 9:29:01 AM8/31/20
to Liz Krznarich, ORCID API Users, Laura Paglione
On 8/31/20 2:09 PM, 'Liz Krznarich' via ORCID API Users wrote:
Please let us know if you continue to see timeouts or other issues.

No further issues that I could notice, I'm trying to isolate the root cause to prevent future incidents.

Thanks for pointing out http://status.orcid.org/ ; is this information accessible in a more machine-readable format? Perhaps it would be better than my current approach (running a search periodically, check that the response is well-formed).

Alain Borel

Liz Krznarich

Aug 31, 2020, 11:16:15 AM8/31/20
to ORCID API Users
http://status.orcid.org is provided by Pingdom (which we use internally for monitoring), and they unfortunately don't offer the option of serving a machine-readable response for public uptime pages.

Also, it's worth noting that checks shown on http://status.orcid.org are sent from various Pingdom server locations in North America and Europe, so in the case of a local/regional network disruption, http://status.orcid.org may not be accurate for everyone everywhere in the world.

Cheers,
Liz