Pushing Funding Records using the API v3

Darran Higgins

Sep 15, 2021, 4:17:51 AM9/15/21
to ORCID API Users
We are in the process of upgrading our application to use v3.0 of the API and I have a question regarding the " disambiguated-organization-identifier" that is now required for the organisation.

What type of identifiers are valid in this section? Can I use GRID identifiers or does it only accept Crossref Funder Registry identifiers?

Many thanks,
Darran

Monica Duke

Sep 15, 2021, 5:51:56 AM9/15/21
to ORCID API Users

Hello

I’m not from the ORCID team, so I stand to be corrected, but in my quest to stay up to date with the documentation so I can manage to dip into it as opportunity and need arises,  and contribute to the community generally, I had a bit of a look.

This documentation link lists the 4 identifiers as  GRID identifiersRinggold organization identifiersLegal Entity identifiers (LEIs) and Crossref Funder Registry identifiers to disambiguate organizations

https://info.orcid.org/documentation/integration-guide/working-with-organization-identifiers/

https://github.com/ORCID/orcid-model/blob/master/src/main/resources/record_3.0/samples/write_samples/funding-3.0.xml

provides an example that uses FUNDREF

The schema for funding refers us to the definition of organization in the ‘common’ schema

https://github.com/ORCID/orcid-model/blob/master/src/main/resources/record_3.0/funding-3.0.xsd

<xs:element ref="common:organization" minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1"/>

The ‘common’ schema has the definition for organization and disambiguated-organization which refers to the Java code which defines the allowed types

https://github.com/ORCID/orcid-model/blob/master/src/main/resources/common_3.0/common-3.0.xsd

<xs:complexType name="disambiguated-organization">

A reference to a disambiguated version the organization to which the researcher or contributor is affiliated. The list of disambiguated organizations come from ORCID partners such as Ringgold, ISNI and FundRef.

<xs:element name="disambiguation-source" type="common:short-text">

The source for providing the disambiguated organization ID. For the list of allowed sources see https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-core/src/main/java/org/orcid/core/orgs/OrgDisambiguatedSourceType.java

The java source lists the 4 types:

https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-core/src/main/java/org/orcid/core/orgs/OrgDisambiguatedSourceType.java

RINGGOLD, GRID, FUNDREF, LEI;

Although in the ‘changes from 2.1 section of this other documentation, under ‘fundings’ lists only 3 of the 4 types (is that an oversight? Or am I reading it not quite in the way intended?)

https://github.com/ORCID/orcid-model/blob/master/src/main/resources/record_3.0/README.md

Disambiguated organization identifier is now required and must be a valid Ringgold, FundRef, or GRID identifier

Best wishes,

Monica Duke (Open Research Services, Jisc, UK)

: 'Darran Higgins' via ORCID API Users <orcid-a...@googlegroups.com>
Sent: 15 September 2021 09:18
To: ORCID API Users <orcid-a...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [ORCID API] Pushing Funding Records using the API v3

Jisc is a registered charity (number 1149740) and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number. 05747339, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. Jisc’s registered office is: 4 Portwall Lane, Bristol, BS1 6NB. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Services Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited by guarantee which is registered in England under company number 02881024, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: 4 Portwall Lane, Bristol, BS1 6NB. T 0203 697 5800.

Jisc Commercial Limited is a wholly owned Jisc subsidiary and a company limited by shares which is registered in England under company number 09316933, VAT number GB 197 0632 86. The registered office is: 4 Portwall Lane, Bristol, BS1 6NB. T 0203 697 5800.

For more details on how Jisc handles your data see our privacy notice here: https://www.jisc.ac.uk/website/privacy-notice

Darran Higgins

Sep 16, 2021, 4:25:25 AM9/16/21
to ORCID API Users
Hi Monica,
thank you for your help, I've managed to get it working now

best wishes
Darran