Problem with Developer Tools API

Thomas Cram

Mar 27, 2023, 4:26:40 PM3/27/23
to ORCID API Users
Hi,

we are using the ORCID Sandbox Developer Tools API to update our system that will allow users to log into our data portal, but the login page at sandbox.orcid.org/signin is hanging and not returning the user back to our portal after login.  I am also getting the same behavior when I attempt to log into Globus with my ORCID login at www.globus.org.

This appears to be an issue with the ORCID login flow.  I don't know where to report this, so am posting it here in the hope someone from ORCID can respond.

Thanks for the help with this,
-- Tom Cram

Fran Alsina

Mar 28, 2023, 4:38:45 AM3/28/23
to ORCID API Users
Hi Tom,

Thank you for your message and for the details.

Can you please confirm if you are using UBlock or Duck Duck Go? We are aware that this is happening due to a conflict with these type of browser plugins.

We are already working on a fix for this. I'll keep you posted once this fix is launched.

In the meantime, please make sure to disable those plugins or use another browser (with no plugins) to access ORCID.

I appreciate your understanding on this and I'll be waiting for your feedback.

To answer your question "I don't know where to report this": feel free to reach out to us via sup...@orcid.org in case of any questions or concerns.

Best regards,

Thomas Cram

Mar 28, 2023, 11:48:09 AM3/28/23
to Fran Alsina, ORCID API Users, Douglas Schuster, Riley Conroy
Hi Fran,
thanks for getting back to me on this.  Yes, I am using the UBlock extension in my browser.  I was able to mark orcid.org as a trusted site in my UBlock settings, and the login flow is working again.

Best regards,
Tom

Thomas Cram
Data Engineering and Curation Section / Computational and Information Systems Laboratory
Boulder, CO

Rad

Apr 3, 2023, 3:36:13 AM4/3/23
to Fran Alsina, ORCID API Users
Hi Fran!
Could it be that CORS settings have been changed? I observed similar behaviour with Brave, first with sandbox, and a couple of weeks later with the prod:
image.png
The browser had not been upgraded, nor any security settings had been changed.
Disabling Brave "shield" solved the problem:
image.png
However, we are experiencing a growing number of users that started having these issues with FF too.
I wonder if there has been rolled out something that could cause this behaviour...
Cheers,
Rad

Fran Alsina

Apr 3, 2023, 3:37:17 AM4/3/23
to ORCID API Users
Hi Rad!

Thanks for the details.

We have recently upgraded to Google Analytics 4, and this is what's causing issues with UBlock and other similar security extensions and with Brave, when the "Shields Up" feature is enabled.

We are already working on a fix. I'll keep you posted and updated.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for your understanding!