Limits on "start" parameter for search APIs

Owen Stephens

Sep 17, 2021, 8:59:04 AM9/17/21
to ORCID API Users
I'm doing some work with the search APIs, and have encountered a limit with the "start" parameter. If I do a search with the "start" parameter > 10000 I get an error in response.

For example with the search:

I get a response which contains the following error information:

The start parameter for API users without credentials must be an integer between 0 and 10,000 Full validation error: The start parameter for API users without credentials must be an integer between 0 and 10,000

Because the error states this limit is for "users without credentials" I tried doing the same request but with an appropriate token. I tried this both through getting a token for the application (scope /read-public) and for an individual authentication with their orcid login (scope /authenticate). In both cases this returned exactly the same error.

This applies to the /search /expanded-search and /csv-search API endpoints (except in the latter case there is just a 500 response, and no error message recieved).

I wonder if anyone could clarify:
* Is this a universal limit on the search, or is it possible to avoid with the right kind of credentials?
* If it is possible to avoid it, what credentials are required and how would I go about getting these credentials?

Thanks

Owen
--
Owen Stephens
Owen Stephens Consulting

Pedro Costa

Sep 20, 2021, 9:35:46 AM9/20/21
to ORCID API Users
Hi Owen,

There's a limit on the amount of results that can be returned from the Public API which is 10,000. It doesn't matter if credentials are included in the call or not.

The Member API has no limit on the number of results that can be returned.

Hope this helps.

Owen Stephens

Sep 23, 2021, 11:45:12 AM9/23/21
to Pedro Costa, ORCID API Users
Thanks Pedro,

Would it be possible to get the error message updated, and this information added to the documentation?

Best wishes

Owen

Pedro Costa

Sep 24, 2021, 4:18:22 AM9/24/21
to ORCID API Users
Hi Owen,

Absolutely. We're already working on that.