ORCID OJS Integration

Jeremy Jones

Apr 17, 2019, 11:26:38 AM4/17/19
to ORCID API Users
Hello All,

Has anyone successfully integrated ORCID into OJS?  If so, can you kindly link me to any documentation that you have used and found helpful, please.  I do have client credentials and the plugin activated but, the next step is vague.  I get the error "Please check your client id, scopes and redirect URIs"  no matter what I change.  I have set up no "scopes" and "client id and redirect URIs" were issued to me so, I do not know where to go to check them.   Any help on this is appreciated thank you all in advance.

Monica Duke

Apr 18, 2019, 4:30:21 AM4/18/19
to ORCID API Users

I’m sure someone from the ORCID team will be able to help soon, in the meantime this is the description of scopes:

https://members.orcid.org/api/oauth/orcid-scopes

or

https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-model/src/main/resources/record_2.0/README.md#scopes

Also common errors would be if your credentials are for an API (Sandbox/Production/Member/Public) but you are making a request against one of the other APIs.  What usually helps the team to provide support is if you can share some of the URLs in your requests, if you can get them through logging, or sometimes just a screenshot showing the URL call will do (but DO mask the client secret or authorization codes or access tokens see https://members.orcid.org/api/oauth/3legged-oauth for examples of these things in action).

Also if you can confirm which type of credentials you requested (which method) although the ORCID team can probably check this.

Hope this helps you get a bit further until more help arrives.

Monica

Olson, Eric

Apr 18, 2019, 9:50:03 AM4/18/19
to Jeremy Jones, ORCID API Users
Hi, Jeremy,

Are you using the Public or Member API?

--
Eric Olson
Engagement and Partnerships Lead, North America, ORCID

Jeremy Jones

Has anyone successfully integrated ORCID into OJS?  If so, can you kindly link me to any documentation that you have used and found helpful, please.  I do have client credentials and the plugin activated but, the next step is vague.  I get the error "Please check your client id, scopes and redirect URIs"  no matter what I change.  I have set up no "scopes" and "client id and redirect URIs" were issued to me so, I do not know where to go to check them.   Any help on this is appreciated thank you all in advance.

Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery

Feb 17, 2021, 10:49:14 PMFeb 17
to ORCID API Users
Hi there,

I am using a public API connected to my ORCID that I have set up as the journal manager for the Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery (AJOPS). I'm using the OJS platform and have also been posting in the PKP forums for help with this problem of integration.

What I am experiencing is that when the authors click on the link provided in the template email,  a string of code was being inserted into the URL (something like '...management/settings')  that was leading to an error - 404 and in some cases other errors. PKP say they have fixed this with an upgrade but we are still experiencing problems after this upgrade. 3.2.1.4.

PKP asked me to check if I have the right UI-library files. My system admin says yes but sends a screen grab which PKP says shows that the problem is with the token settings.
PKP then asks if I have the latest update for the plugin (I do) and if I have checked that the token settings are correct.

1. Without sharing the details, this is the setup when I got into in my ORCID developer tools:.

Authorisation request URL shows:

Token request shows:
curl -i -L -k -H 'Accept: application/json' --data 'client_id=APP-[REMOVED]&client_secret=6a9ba867-4e11-4462-99e6-07d4b966ae8d&grant_type=authorization_code&redirect_uri=https://ajops.com/index.php/ajops/orcidapi/orcidVerify&code=REPLACE WITH OAUTH CODE' https://orcid.org/oauth/token

OpenID/Implicit request shows:

2. My OJS ORCID plugin profile is set up as follows:

ORCID API settings - Public
Client ID - here I have copied my client ID starting with APP-
Client Secret - here I have copied my client secret

Email settings
I have ticked the check box that says "Send email to request ORCID authorisation from authors when an article is accepted ie sent to copyediting

ORCID request log
Select the amount of logging output written by the plugin
Here I have selected 'All'. The other option is 'Errors'

ANY help you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I have spent so much time trying to resolve this and feel stuck between PKP, my systems admin, and ORCID.

Thanks so much
Jacqueline

Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery

Feb 17, 2021, 10:54:10 PMFeb 17
to ORCID API Users

This is the screen grab referred to in my earlier post
2021-02-11_6-50-40.pdf

Pedro Costa

Feb 19, 2021, 9:50:19 AMFeb 19
to ORCID API Users
Hi Jacqueline,

I see you've hidden the client ID in your post but exposed the client secret. I think it's best if you generate another client secret (and please do not share it here) in the developer tools section on your ORCID account.

It sounds like the issue might be in the OJS side but we'll need more info -- could you please send us the link that's causing problems?

Kind regards,

Pedro Costa
QA Lead, ORCID

Jacqueline Spedding

Feb 22, 2021, 12:22:57 AMFeb 22
to ORCID API Users

Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery

Feb 22, 2021, 1:04:41 AMFeb 22
to ORCID API Users
Sorry if this posts twice. This is the related PKP thread:

Pedro Costa

Feb 22, 2021, 12:01:35 PMFeb 22
to ORCID API Users
Hi Jacqueline,

Clicking that link you've provided takes me to your journal's signin page. I then clicked the "Register" button, and then the "Create or Connect your ORCID iD" button which initiates an OAuth session at the following link:

The problem is that the redirect_uri used in the link doesn't match what's registered on the developer tools section of your ORCID account.

So, the redirect_uri in the link is https://ajops.com/index.php/ajops/orcidapi/orcidAuthorize?targetOp=register but the one you have registered on your ORCID account is https://ajops.com/index.php/ajops/orcidapi/orcidVerify.

It looks like a setting might be misconfigured or missing on your OJS config. I'd suggest making sure the redirect_uri you have configured in OJS matches the one on the developer tools section of your ORCID record.

I hope this is of help. Just let us know if we can assist with anything further.

Pedro Costa
QA Lead, ORCID

Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery

Feb 24, 2021, 7:14:46 PMFeb 24
to ORCID API Users
Hi Pedro

There are two things here that are issues:

1. There is nowhere in the OJS plugin where I can set a redirect URI - the configuration must be in the systems end and my systems administrator has closed this ticket as they say they have done everything that PKP has advised and the problem is in the code. So I can't check this.
2. When I changed the redirect URI to the one you advised I still get a 404 error :

This is so frustrating! I have posted on PKP and it seems to be flagged as a lingering issue but they note a 500 error so I'm not sure what is happening.

Any further help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Jacqueline

Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery

Feb 24, 2021, 7:16:25 PMFeb 24
to ORCID API Users

Pedro Costa

Feb 25, 2021, 11:38:01 AMFeb 25
to ORCID API Users
  Hi Jacqueline,

We've had a look at this for you but at this point I don't think there's much we can to do assist any further. Perhaps someone else from the community with experience with OJS can help you troubleshoot the issues you are experiencing.

OJS and the ORCID plugin are developed and maintained by PKP so I believe they'll be in a better position to assist.

Kind regards,

Pedro Costa
QA Lead, ORCID

Australasian Journal of Plastic Surgery

Feb 28, 2021, 8:12:55 PMFeb 28
to ORCID API Users
Hi Pedro,

I've fixed it and it is now working :) Thank you so much for your help. The plugin was also updated so together it seems we have succeeded. This has really been beyond my technical know-how - like trying to translate a page of a language you don't know by looking up words and trying to make the connection. But for this group I don't think I would have been able to finally connect the parts.

I'm so happy right now!!

Warm regards
Jacqueline