Questions about csv-search API

Owen Stephens

Sep 10, 2021, 11:01:14 AM9/10/21
to ORCID API Users
I'm having a look at the csv-search API and just wondering about how the list of institutions in the "current-institution-affiliation-name" is calculated? Is this all affiliations where the start date is in the past and the end date is either missing or in the future? Or something else?

Similarly for the past-institution-affiliation-name

What happens if the affiliation has neither start nor end dates - is that included in either of these or just omitted?

I also have a question about the "given-and-family-names" field. My reading of the documentation at https://github.com/ORCID/ORCID-Source/blob/master/orcid-api-web/tutorial/search.md#using-orcid-search-with-csv was that this was one of the options for a field that could be returned by the API, but it seems to always return empty for me? Is this only for searching?

Thanks

Owen
--
Sent from Postbox

Angel Montenegro

Sep 15, 2021, 10:08:42 AM9/15/21
to ORCID API Users
Hi Owen,

You are right, current-institution-affiliation-name includes all affiliations that have no end date or that end date is in the future.
past-institution-affiliation-name includes all affiliations with an end date that is in the past.

If the affiliation doesn't have dates at all, it will be included in the current-institution-affiliation-name .

Regarding the given-and-family-names field, you are also right, it is only a search value and will not be included in the results.

Thanks