Representation of author conflict of interests

Dulip Withanage

Aug 2, 2022, 4:52:44 PM8/2/22
to ORCID API Users
Hi team,
Is there a way to show author conflicts of interest for specific records on  orcid data exchange?   Is there a schema where  I can refer to model the COI s ?
Best,
Dulip

Fran Alsina

Aug 4, 2022, 9:11:25 AM8/4/22
to ORCID API Users
Hi Dulip,

Thanks for your query!

Currently we have no fields to add conflicts of interest in the API's metadata.

In any case, and so that we can process this feedback correctly, could you please give us a context and some examples? This would help us a lot to understand your needs.

We'll be waiting for your feedback.

Thanks!

Dulip Withanage

Aug 4, 2022, 10:59:32 AM8/4/22
to Fran Alsina, ORCID API Users
Hi Fransisco ,
This request was on behalf  one of my collegues and I quote his request.

"authors sometimes need to declare conflicts of interest during the submission process (Conflict of Interest / Competing Interests statements). For example, they might be receiving funding that potentially puts them in conflict with the subject they're studying. I'm wondering whether ORCID is interested in receiving these with submissions, and whether it was part of their schema."

The question is also, if  this statement   between the work and the author is  generally available in orcid  ?

Best,
Dulip

Dulip Withanage

Aug 7, 2022, 4:57:48 PM8/7/22
to Fran Alsina, ORCID API Users
Hi Fransisco,

We have found a very good JATS XML example of such  use cases in the JATS4R documentation.

Best wishes,

Dulip

Fran Alsina

Aug 8, 2022, 6:59:22 AM8/8/22
to ORCID API Users
Hi Dulip.

Thank you so much for the feedback and the documentation.

Currently it is not possible to add a COI in the API metadata nor in the UI.

In any case, I have raised this again with the team and shared the documentation that you provided.

The COI subject has been addressed multiple times by our team and we are aware of this. Our main plan and focus right now is to work with COI-specialized platforms and encourage them to use ORCID iDs to make their own work more robust

Thank you again for the feedback.

 Best regards