Relaxing the Cache-Control header

c.wil...@elifesciences.org

Jun 12, 2023, 5:52:52 AM6/12/23
to ORCID API Users

Hi,

The public API has a very strict Cache-Control header:

curl --silent --head https://pub.orcid.org/v3.0/0000-0002-1825-0097/personal-details | grep cache-control

cache-control: no-cache, no-store, max-age=0, must-revalidate

Can we relax it a bit to allow the use of stale content in case of a network error (e.g. downtime, rate limiting)?

no-store prevents (compliant) caches from storing the response; must-revalidate prevents stale responses from being used if they can't be revalidated (but other directives are technically redundant due to no-store).

Removing those two, and keeping no-cache and max-age=0, still means that clients will always request fresh responses and mark everything as immediately stale, but clients can use stale responses selectively.

Thanks,

Chris

Fran Alsina

Sep 27, 2023, 5:34:37 AM9/27/23
to ORCID API Users
Hi Chris,

Thank you for your feedback and the details provided.

Although your query has already been answered, I'm leaving this reply for the wider community.

More updates and details on this feedback can be found here:

Thank you again and best regards,