Is it possible to use the API to find an author's ORCID ID from their name and an article's DOI?

David Lawrence

Nov 18, 2022, 11:07:48 PM11/18/22
to ORCID API Users
I am responsible for the bibliographic database SafetyLit. SafetyLit is a free service (presented without advertising) i cooperation with San Diego State University and the World Health Organization.

The metadata provided to us by most publishers does not contain author ORCID identifiers. However, authors who elect to provide their works to ORCID usually include the journal article DOI.

We try to manually attach each author's ORCID identifier by hand editing the author records in our database but that is incredibly tedious. Might the API be set up so that the ORCID database could be queried from an author name + DOI. I realize that this will be impossible for the authors who do not connect their names to their published works. We are able to accomplish this automatically (via the National Library of Medicine API) for articles that have been indexed in the PubMed database. However, the majority of our records are of items that are not indexed by PubMed.

If there are no technical or privacy obstructions and your query system will allow a query of that structural complexity, we will set that task for our development team.

Should I be optimistic or is this technically impossible?  Thanks.