Is the Orca project alive? and this group?

Greg Lewin

Jan 8, 2013, 1:53:09 PM1/8/13
to orcap...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

the Orca project looks very interesting, but shows some signs of dormancy or worse - such as the command to git, as shown on the web page for Orca, timing out repeatedly :

What is the status please?

thanks

Greg

Lauritz Thamsen

Jan 9, 2013, 4:30:37 PM1/9/13
to orcap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg.

Orca was a research project with active development at Hasso-Plattner-Institutein 2010/2011. It has been released under MIT license in Summer 2011 at the end of that project and we created this group as well as the project's page specifically to support any interest in the project. So, please feel free to ask any questions.

the command to git, as shown on the web page for Orca, timing out repeatedly :
Browsing https://github.com/orcaproject/orca as well as cloning git://github.com/orcaproject/orca.git work for me. The server-side part of the Orca framework, which is implemented in Squeak/Smalltalk, should be available as well at http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/Orca.html. The last Version of Squeak we tested is 4.2.

Best,
Lauritz

Greg Lewin

Jan 14, 2013, 2:41:34 PM1/14/13
to orcap...@googlegroups.com
On 9 January 2013 21:30, Lauritz Thamsen <lauritz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Greg.
>
> Orca was a research project with active development at
> Hasso-Plattner-Institutein 2010/2011. It has been released under MIT license
> in Summer 2011 at the end of that project and we created this group as well
> as the project's page specifically to support any interest in the project.
> So, please feel free to ask any questions.
>
> the command to git, as shown on the web page for Orca, timing out repeatedly
> :
> git clone git://github.com/orcaproject/orca.git
>
> Browsing https://github.com/orcaproject/orca as well as cloning
> git://github.com/orcaproject/orca.git work for me. The server-side part of
> the Orca framework, which is implemented in Squeak/Smalltalk, should be
> available as well at
> http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/Orca.html. The last
> Version of Squeak we tested is 4.2.
>
> Best,
> Lauritz

Hi,

It just keeps timing out.

1) Do you have privileged access?

2) or, is the server often down?

3) Is this project essentially dead?

(at first sight it does look as if it could be worthwhile)

thanks,

Greg

Lauritz Thamsen

Jan 15, 2013, 2:19:41 AM1/15/13
to orcap...@googlegroups.com
Hi Greg.

> 1) Do you have privileged access?
> 2) or, is the server often down?

Just checked again and both sources are online, I also don't know of any recent downtimes, and both sources allow global read access. Those are also different servers, so, very strange that both appear down...
Let me know if you keep having trouble downloading–then I'll just send you the sources.

> 3) Is this project essentially dead? (at first sight it does look as if it could be worthwhile)
As far as I know there's no one working on the project currently. That is, both repositories don't show any recent commits and all original developers work on other projects, now. Anyway, if you want to have a look at the project and there are any questions, feel free to post them here.

Best,
Lauritz