PCB multilayer coil

COLE

Jan 14, 2017, 3:26:41 PM1/14/17
to Orcad User Group
I am trying to make a multilayer coil (24 layers) using Orcad PCB Layout 9.0. The tracework will be repeated throughout the layers. How can I do it once then copy and paste to the other layers?

Ron Olinyk

Jan 14, 2017, 4:02:08 PM1/14/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com
I'm assuming you're using an Obstacle (drawing item) to create the coil:
-press Shift key and click on coil item
-press Insert key to copy it
-press Enter to bring up Properties window
-change layer pull-down to new layer, OK
-repeat for other layers

To avoid moving the selected obstacle, in Properties window, use the tab key to move to Layer selector, down arrow key to pick layer, tab to OK, Enter, then spacebar in layout window to finish command.

If coil has a net property, be sure to it is set in the first copy so it can be duplicated in other copies.

Ron O

--

---

COLE

Jan 14, 2017, 6:39:11 PM1/14/17
to Orcad User Group
Ron_O: Thanks for the help. The coil will be connected in series through the layers so, there will be different vias used for the connections. I am assuming the obstacle "trace" will be treated as such to make the proper connection to the vias.

James, Ron UTC CCS

Jan 16, 2017, 8:38:35 AM1/16/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com

It should connect if you assign the right net name to each obstacle, otherwise you will get DRC errors and possibly unconnected ratsnest lines.

Ron

(different Ron)

COLE

Jan 16, 2017, 11:31:09 AM1/16/17
to Orcad User Group
If I do not assign nets to the obstacles, and just bring the traces to the pads I want, will this work OK?

James, Ron UTC CCS

Jan 16, 2017, 11:42:15 AM1/16/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com

That will work, because the final Gerber files don’t care about net names and shorts.  As long as you don’t mind a lot of false DRC error markers (assuming you even run the DRC.)

You will need to use either Free Track or Copper Area obstacles to force the connections, obviously because Copper Pour obstacles will auto clear away from the pads if they don’t share a net name.

COLE

Jan 16, 2017, 12:32:59 PM1/16/17
to Orcad User Group
Ron J.: OK, thanks for the help. I am using Free Track obstacles for the connections.

COLE

Jan 17, 2017, 2:32:08 PM1/17/17
to Orcad User Group
How can I place the free track obstacles so that they are exactly over each other on all layers?

James, Ron UTC CCS

Jan 17, 2017, 3:25:58 PM1/17/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com

After drawing the original lines at your smaller detail grid, temporarily change the detail grid to some large number like 100 mils or even larger while making the copies.  Makes it very obvious when the copies are lined up.

James, Ron UTC CCS

Jan 17, 2017, 3:41:32 PM1/17/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com

I just noticed that Ron O’s instructions below also include a method to copy a feature to a different layer without moving the copy away from the location of the original.

COLE

Jan 17, 2017, 3:59:48 PM1/17/17
to Orcad User Group
Yes, that was very helpful as was your suggestion, thanks!

COLE

Jan 18, 2017, 12:23:05 PM1/18/17
to Orcad User Group
In making the free trace obstacles for the coil windings, when I click on them it just highlights one segment or arc in the obstacle. It turns out that there are many parts to the obstacle. As a result, I cannot easily copy and place the obstacles as Ron_O suggested with the copy and spacebar instructions. Can I group the obstacles to easily copy and place them without a location change for the different layers they will be placed on?

James, Ron UTC CCS

Jan 18, 2017, 1:05:08 PM1/18/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com

You can use control-click to select multiple items.  Or window around everything.

Either way might end up grabbing some items that you don’t want.  If so then use the much larger grid copy method, drop your first copy off to the side, then selectively delete the extraneous stuff from it before making all your final copies.

One thing to note is that I am using Layout Plus version 16, so I don’t know if all of this works exactly the same way in 9.

On Saturday, January 14, 2017 at 3:26:41 PM UTC-5, COLE wrote:

I am trying to make a multilayer coil (24 layers) using Orcad PCB Layout 9.0. The tracework will be repeated throughout the layers. How can I do it once then copy and paste to the other layers?

COLE

Jan 18, 2017, 8:07:35 PM1/18/17
to Orcad User Group
I am using Orcad Layout 9.0 and the control-click sequence does not work, I ended up just selecting all the obstacles I needed for the layer, copied them from another layer and positioned them manually using the datum as a reference point. When I overlaid the layers I could see if they were properly aligned. If not, I went back and re-positioned the obstacles. It was time consuming, but I have it now, Thanks for all you help,

Bob Wilson

Jan 18, 2017, 9:03:48 PM1/18/17
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com
Ronny-O knows his stuff!

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM, COLE <rco...@mac-ndt.com> wrote:
I am trying to make a multilayer coil (24 layers) using Orcad PCB Layout 9.0. The tracework will be repeated throughout the layers. How can I do it once then copy and paste to the other layers?

--

---

Ron Olinyk

Jan 18, 2017, 9:05:52 PM1/18/17