Manually route inside OrCAD Layout with no netlist installed.. possible ?

jpdesroc

Apr 4, 2018, 9:26:30 AM4/4/18
to Orcad User Group
I'm using an old OrCAD Layout version (10.5) and
am very satisfied with it so far.
But I have one question about manual routing..
I always create a schematic using Capture, generate a netlist
then import it into Layout. Ok fine.
Is-it possible to manually route traces inside OrCAD Layout
with no netlist installed ??
I mean put some components on an empty board
then route them manually.
I tried using the board outline icon to trace lines
on the top copper side of the board but that function
only accepts 'closed' polygones.. no free lines.
Any way to do it ?
Thanks.

James, Ron UTC CCS

Apr 4, 2018, 9:37:07 AM4/4/18
to orcad-us...@googlegroups.com

I don’t specifically remember about 10.5;  the last version number I have is Layout Plus 16.2 (because Cadence jumped up the version numbering to match their Allegro releases).

If the same option exists in 10.5, you can manually add new nets using the Connection Tool button, or the Tool, Connection menu.  This adds ratsnest lines for you to route with.

Ron

--

---

Ron_O

Apr 4, 2018, 2:38:55 PM4/4/18
to Orcad User Group
You can also use the Obstacle Free Track function (Obstacle, Insert, Ctrl-E, change type to Free Track).
This is a simple line draw in copper and behaves like routing, but with less editing features.
Since there will be no netname assigned however, any other obstacles the Free Track touches eg. pads, vias, ect. will be
flagged as clearance errors by DRC.
Using the Add Connection method as Ron J. mentions is a better approach as it will pass DRC and has full route editing functions.

Ron_O