developing Orbeon Forms in IntelliJ or other IDE

Brian Wallis

Sep 17, 2021, 1:02:26 AM9/17/21
to Orbeon Forms
Hi,
  I was wondering if anyone had developed any plugin support for developing forms from within an IDE such as IntelliJ.

What I was thinking was some sort of embedded orbeon that supports running the builder and viewing a form and then saving the template. It could also give a view onto the source of the form template in a controlled XML editor with schema support. And a view onto the log so when testing you can easily see and explore any errors that occur during building and testing the form templates.

thanks
brian wallis...

Alessandro Vernet

Sep 17, 2021, 4:40:33 PM9/17/21
to Orbeon Forms
Hi Brian,

Even if we are big users of IntelliJ, we're thinking of addressing this through a new web-based "development console", giving form authors visibility on what is happening on the server, which would be useful when debugging issues. Also see the related RFE #‌2169 linked below. Would something of that sort be a good fit for the use case you have in mind?

Brian Wallis

Sep 19, 2021, 6:46:21 PM9/19/21
to Orbeon Forms
Hi Alex,
That would partially address what we need.

Yes, one of the big problems for forms developers is that you need to get access to the logs to see errors that inevitably occur as you develop and test a form. This is difficult for our customers who are doing form development as they usually would not have access to the server logs. It is also going to become more difficult for everyone as we are moving to a locked down somewhat service oriented deployment of our systems in AWS. Security is a prime requirement for the deployments in AWS and there is generally no console access available to the servers.

But a form developer still requires access to a server and that server has to be deployed and managed and usually shared with others which is extra overhead.

What I had in mind was something like orbeon wrapped in a docker container, configured to be light weight and portable and used only by a single user with a bit of integration into something like IntelliJ to support views onto the builder, form template source and log messages. That and an easy way to export/import templates to/from another server/file and life for forms devs would be much easier.

brian...

Alessandro Vernet

Sep 20, 2021, 3:53:23 PM9/20/21
to Orbeon Forms
Hi Brian,

Yes, if developers don't have access to the server, and can't easily check the `orbeon.log`, then it is better for them to do most of the development locally, and using Docker is a good way to make this process easier.

-Alex