Orbeon 2021.1 and Java 11

julien bittard

Sep 22, 2022, 12:11:27 PM9/22/22
to Orbeon Forms
Hi,

Does the latest version of orbeon (2021.1) require java 11 to run? as shown in the table https://doc.orbeon.com/installation#java-versions.
I have a doubt, because I didn't see any reference to this important change in the release notes.

Thank You.

Julien

Alessandro Vernet

Sep 22, 2022, 9:23:09 PM9/22/22
to orb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julien,

At this point, we're not aware of anything in Orbeon Forms that requires Java 11, but we're not testing anymore with Java 8. So if you really need to use Java 8, give it a shot, and it might just work. But of course, you might also want to plan an upgrade to a new LTS version of Java at some point (the latest LTS is Java 17, which was released a year ago).

-Alex

Bittard, Julien

Sep 23, 2022, 3:24:44 AM9/23/22
to orb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alessandro,

Thank you for the answer. Yes we are planning to upgrade to java 17, but that will probably come after upgrading to ORBEON 2021.1.

Do you plan to test ORBEON with java 17? because there is still a big impact on the internal java APIs which are no longer available at all compared to 11 where they remain available with warning.

Thank You.

Julien

Sep 23, 2022, 9:34:15 PM9/23/22
to orb...@googlegroups.com
Hi Julien,

At this point, internally, we are only testing with Java 11. However, we've heard reports from customers using Java 17, and we will start testing with that version as well at some point in the future. But if you get a chance to upgrade your JVM, and notice any problem with Java 17, just let us know!

-Alex