How to connect PL/SQL developer and SQL PLus to Oracle 11g

weird0

Oct 14, 2013, 9:42:21 AM10/14/13
to oracle...@googlegroups.com
I have just installed Oracle 11g Personal Edition on my PC today. When I open PL-SqL developer, it asks me for four things:-

1. Username (oracle never asked for this in the installation)
2. Password (xyz, that I myself set)
3. Database ( Oracle created a starter database with the name of db_2 and global db with the name "orcl")
4. Connect as: Normal

What do I enter in the 4 required fields. The password field is obvious and I would probably enter db_2 in the database name. But what should i enter in the username? Oracle 11g never asked for the username during the installation.

The same issue persist with SQL PLus. When I open it, a command line window opens and it asks a username and password. I tried a lot of combinations but none of them worked.

Is there a default combination of username and password for SQL plus?

Please, help me since I am installing Oracle for the the first time. Also, tell me any good tutorial on how to create/set the tnsnames.ora file that I have heard about and setting the environment variables.

Which has to be done first? The tnsnames.ora file setting and env variable setting or do I connect first?

Regards,

weird0

Oct 14, 2013, 9:53:12 AM10/14/13
to oracle...@googlegroups.com
Upon trying the username and password on SQL PLUS it gives, an error

ORA-12560: TNS Adapter error

ddf

Oct 14, 2013, 12:40:38 PM10/14/13
to oracle...@googlegroups.com

On Monday, October 14, 2013 7:53:12 AM UTC-6, weird0 wrote:
Upon trying the username and password on SQL PLUS it gives, an error

ORA-12560: TNS Adapter error

This has been answered in comp.databases.oracle.server.

David Fitzjarrell