Repuglicans waste taxpayer money

0 views
Skip to first unread message

John

unread,
Jun 21, 2001, 9:58:41 PM6/21/01
to
One Republican who wouldn't change his vote was Michigan Rep. Peter
Hoekstra. "Sure, the leadership asked me to reconsider my vote. But the idea
that we need to send out a letter saying the check is in the mail is the
dumbest idea I've heard in a long time,"

In a Thursday interview with Salon, Rep. Jones -- a fiscal conservative
elected with the Republican revolution class of '94 -- said that the mailing
"was just not a wise expenditure of the taxpayers' money. If taxpayers came
down here and saw all the wasteful spending, they would be outraged.

"I just could not justify $30 million to send a note saying, 'Hey, you got a
check coming!'" Jones said. "That's a lot of money. There's been enough
press; people know they're going to be receiving the check."


http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/06/21/letter/index.html

--
___>^..^<___


Common Sense

unread,
Jun 22, 2001, 11:16:02 AM6/22/01
to
Democrats complaining about spending. That's like Ford complaining about
driving.

$30 million is to the feds is like 30 cents to us. Besides all that, its the
law.


"John" <jk...@anon.net> wrote in message
news:OAxY6.106117$Ne5.3...@e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com...

John

unread,
Jun 22, 2001, 8:33:56 PM6/22/01
to
--
___>^..^<___

"Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> wrote in message
news:tj6p18...@corp.supernews.com...


> Democrats complaining about spending. That's like Ford complaining about
> driving.

Better read that again - those were Repugs that were complaining.

>
> $30 million is to the feds is like 30 cents to us. Besides all that, its
the
> law.

There is no regulatory requirement that the notices be sent - simply public
relations by the IRS and political aggranizement by Bush. And $30 million
could be spent elsewhere to far better effect.

jsp

unread,
Jun 23, 2001, 1:56:34 AM6/23/01
to

> There is no regulatory requirement that the notices be sent - simply
public
> relations by the IRS and political aggranizement by Bush. And $30 million
> could be spent elsewhere to far better effect.

Why recieve a kicker check when it's cheaper to credit the next years
liability?

Joe-six-pack


Common Sense

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 10:07:37 AM6/25/01
to

"John" <jk...@anon.net> wrote in message
news:qDRY6.5754$yz5.1...@e420r-sjo2.usenetserver.com...

> --
> ___>^..^<___
>
> "Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> wrote in message
> news:tj6p18...@corp.supernews.com...
> > Democrats complaining about spending. That's like Ford complaining about
> > driving.
>
> Better read that again - those were Repugs that were complaining.
>
> >
> > $30 million is to the feds is like 30 cents to us. Besides all that, its
> the
> > law.
>
> There is no regulatory requirement that the notices be sent - simply
public
> relations by the IRS and political aggranizement by Bush. And $30 million
> could be spent elsewhere to far better effect.

Spent fielding millions of phone calls wondering why they got a $300 check?
Stop whining.........


Darrell Fuhriman

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 12:37:13 PM6/25/01
to
"Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> writes:

> Spent fielding millions of phone calls wondering why they got a $300 check?
> Stop whining.........

No, include a (non-partisan) letter with the damn check.

As Bill would say, "T'aint rocket science."

But then, any sort of skill which requires reason is well beyond
you.

Darrell

Common Sense

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 12:42:55 PM6/25/01
to

"Darrell Fuhriman" <dar...@grumblesmurf.net> wrote in message
news:tshofrc...@artful.grumblesmurf.net...

The letter is Non Partisan. Check your facts.


Dave Thompson

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 1:59:40 PM6/25/01
to

"Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> wrote in message
news:tjer98d...@corp.supernews.com...

If it was non-partisan it would say nothing about Bush or the republican
congress, it would simply say that the government is giving you a tax
rebate.

That would still be a waste, though.


Darrell Fuhriman

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 2:04:07 PM6/25/01
to
"Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> writes:

> The letter is Non Partisan. Check your facts.

Even if we accept this as truth, it doesn't change the fact that
you've cut down on millions of dollars of postage and other
mailing costs by just including the letter with the check.

The additional mailing is just a blatant waste of money.

Smaller, more efficient government from the Republicans indeed.

Darrell

John

unread,
Jun 25, 2001, 7:52:12 PM6/25/01
to
--
___>^..^<___

"Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> wrote in message

news:tjei5um...@corp.supernews.com...


>
> "John" <jk...@anon.net> wrote in message
> news:qDRY6.5754$yz5.1...@e420r-sjo2.usenetserver.com...
> >

> > "Common Sense" <commo...@watchdog.com> wrote in message
> > news:tj6p18...@corp.supernews.com...
> > > Democrats complaining about spending. That's like Ford complaining
about
> > > driving.
> >
> > Better read that again - those were Repugs that were complaining.
> >
> > >
> > > $30 million is to the feds is like 30 cents to us. Besides all that,
its
> > the
> > > law.
> >
> > There is no regulatory requirement that the notices be sent - simply
> public
> > relations by the IRS and political aggranizement by Bush. And $30
million
> > could be spent elsewhere to far better effect.
>
> Spent fielding millions of phone calls wondering why they got a $300
check?

I can see it now - "Hello IRS? Why did you send me a tax refund?"

> Stop whining.........

Have you stopped whining about Clinton "stealing" the furniture yet? (or did
the fact that the furniture actually belonged to him quiet you?)

Common Sense

unread,
Jun 26, 2001, 3:39:35 PM6/26/01
to

"Dave Thompson" <dav1...@pacifier.com> wrote in message
news:3b377...@news.pacifier.com...

Funny I never saw the word "Republican" in the text of the story. I guess
calling Bush the "President" is now being partisan to Democrats. I guess the
only bi-partisan thing to call him would be Shrub or George II or some other
lame title ehh? Idiots..............


Common Sense

unread,
Jun 26, 2001, 3:58:13 PM6/26/01
to

"Darrell Fuhriman" <dar...@grumblesmurf.net> wrote in message
news:tshels8...@artful.grumblesmurf.net...

You guys are so phony. Every other government program and waste you love but
this one give Bush a little credit so you claim it is a waste of money when
it is clearly helpful for people.


Common Sense

unread,
Jun 26, 2001, 3:59:25 PM6/26/01
to

"John" <jk...@anon.net> wrote in message
news:b6QZ6.55846$Mq.21...@e420r-sjo3.usenetserver.com...

> > Stop whining.........
>
> Have you stopped whining about Clinton "stealing" the furniture yet? (or
did
> the fact that the furniture actually belonged to him quiet you?)

I've stopped talking much about Clinton because he is a relic of the past
and a more corrupt time in our history..........


Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages