PURIM!

Shlomo Miller

Mar 5, 2023, 10:32:16 AM3/5/23
to or-m...@googlegroups.com, or-miny...@googlegroups.com
Dear Chevrah,

Purim is approaching and will begin on Monday night, March 6th with Megillah reading. One of the major mitzvos of Purim is Matanos L’evyonim, gifts to the needy. For many years, our minyan has observed this important mitzvah by participating in a Boston-area-wide appeal for Yad Chessed, a local charity.

For over 30 years Yad Chessed has worked to address the needs of Jews in our larger community who are struggling with financial and food insecurity. With the support of donors, synagogues, schools and partner organizations, Yad Chessed’s team of social workers provides swift emergency financial assistance, grocery gift cards, and compassionate care, advice, and referrals to those in need. Funds collected for Purim are transferred to needy individuals in the Boston area on Purim day, fulfilling the mitzvah.

Last year, our small and young minyan collected $7,000 on behalf of Yad Chessed. When you arrive in costume at Hillel, you will see a table at the door to Beren Hall. Atop the table will be an oval box. You can insert your donation through the slot on top. Checks should be made out to Yad Chessed. Or if you prefer, you can donate online at  https://www.yadchessed.org/purim/.

Be sure to indicate on the appropriate line that your gift is from the Orthodox Minyan at Harvard Hillel.

We will also make it possible for you to contribute your "half-shekel."

YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE ANYTIME FROM NOW UNTIL NO LATER THAN 11 a.m. ON WEDNESDAY MARCH 6th

Best,
Shlomo (or is it Jerry?)

Shlomo Miller

Mar 5, 2023, 10:47:47 AM3/5/23
to or-m...@googlegroups.com, or-miny...@googlegroups.com
Correction: The deadline is 11am on Tuesday, March 7th