OptiML HelloWorld example fails after latest version have been checked out

Alexander Filippov

Mar 12, 2014, 8:31:06 AM3/12/14
to opt...@googlegroups.com
Hello!

I have just checked out latest revision of Delite and Forge (and lms also). I follow instructions from http://stanford-ppl.github.io/Delite/optiml/getting_started.html , section "From Source". I have succesfully passed all the steps exept the last one. I have pointed LMS_HOME variable to virtualization-lms-core directory and run the following command:

 bin/update -s 3 -d -r HelloWorldCompiler ppl.dsl.forge.dsls.optiml.OptiMLDSLRunner OptiML

publish OptiML    (3/6)
== Publishing OptiML to /home/afilippov/DeliteGit/forge/published//OptiML/
[forge]: Publishing complete.
~/DeliteGit/forge ~/DeliteGit/forge
cd published/OptiML/
sbt compile (4/6)
[info] Loading global plugins from /home/afilippov/.sbt/0.13/plugins
[info] Loading project definition from /home/afilippov/DeliteGit/forge/published/OptiML/project
[info] Set current project to optiml (in build file:/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/forge/published/OptiML/)
[success] Total time: 2 s, completed Mar 12, 2014 4:21:20 PM
bin/delitec HelloWorldCompiler
==  Generating DEG file with options: {'profile': False, 'xdebug': False, 'verbose': False, 'xnocache': False, 'debug': False, 'opencl': False, 'no_fusion': False, 'build_dir': '/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/forge/published/OptiML', 'cluster': False, 'dump_exception': False, 'no_soa': False, 'cpp': False, 'no_blas': False, 'optimize': 0, 'cuda': False}
Delite Application Being Staged:[HelloWorldCompiler$]
******Generating the program******
bin/delite HelloWorldCompiler
== executing application: HelloWorldCompiler.deg
Delite Runtime executing with the following arguments:
HelloWorldCompiler.deg
Delite Runtime executing with: 1 Scala thread(s), 0 Cpp thread(s), 0 Cuda(s), 0 OpenCL(s)
/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/delite/generatedCache/scala/src/datastructures/DeliteInterfaces.scala:27: error: not found: value __newVar
  private[this] var _v = v
                    ^
/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/delite/generatedCache/scala/src/datastructures/DeliteInterfaces.scala:30: error: not found: value __assign
  def set(v: T) = _v = v
                     ^
/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/delite/generatedCache/scala/src/datastructures/Global.scala:19: error: not found: value __newVar
  var randRef = new scala.util.Random(INITIAL_SEED)
      ^
/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/delite/generatedCache/scala/src/datastructures/Global.scala:20: error: not found: value __newVar
  var intRandRef = new scala.util.Random(INITIAL_SEED)
      ^
/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/delite/generatedCache/scala/src/datastructures/Global.scala:21: error: not found: value __newVar
  var numericPrecision = 5
      ^
/home/afilippov/DeliteGit/delite/generatedCache/scala/src/datastructures/FileStreamImpl.scala:19: error: not found: value __ifThenElse
    if (dec.maxCharsPerByte != 1f || dec.averageCharsPerByte != 1f)
... and a lot of similar errors ...

I have played with old revision of Delite and OptiML (checked out about 4 months ago) and passed all these steps succesfully. May be, the way of using OptiML is somehow changed in latest revision. Could you please point me on what I am doing wrong?

Thank you in advance,
Alexander.

Arvind Sujeeth

Mar 12, 2014, 1:19:40 PM3/12/14
to opt...@googlegroups.com
hi Alex,

hi Alex,

Can you try using sbt 0.12.2 (it looks below like you are using sbt 0.13)? We have noticed that different sbt versions are a bit fickle. Also, if this is the first time you are rebuilding since checking out and you haven't deleted the previous generated files already, try passing the "-c" flag to update, which will start a clean build from Forge and may resolve some issues.

thanks,
Arvind

Alexander Filippov

Mar 14, 2014, 3:57:25 AM3/14/14
to opt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arvind,

Thank you for your help! As you supposed, the problem was in sbt version. Now it is resolved.

I just have one suggestion. Currenlt, when we build OptiML(or any other dsl) by Forge, it's sources are published into forge/published directory. These sources conatins project/Build.scala file. May be, we should also publish project/build.properties file which should contains correct sbt version (for example, correspondent to sbt vesrion in forge/project/build.properties)? That would prevent users from using different sbt's (as it was for me :) ).

Thank you,
Alexander