OptiML-beta compilation failed

Akinori ABE

Sep 14, 2013, 10:50:08 PM9/14/13
to opt...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am very interested in OptiML, and I tried to install it in my 64-bit Lubuntu(Ubuntu) 13.04 on VirtualBox.

I followed the instruction http://stanford-ppl.github.io/Delite/optiml/getting_started.html,
using sbt downloaded from http://stanford-ppl.github.io/Delite/dists/sbt/0.12.0-Beta2/sbt-launch.jar.
But build-optiml was killed suddenly.

root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml# git clone git://github.com/stanford-ppl/Delite.git
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml# git clone git://github.com/TiarkRompf/virtualization-lms-core.git
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml# cd virtualization-lms-core/
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/virtualization-lms-core# git checkout optiml-beta
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/virtualization-lms-core# sbt publish-local
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/virtualization-lms-core# cd ../Delite/
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/Delite# git checkout optiml-beta
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/Delite# sbt clean
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/Delite# export PATH=$PATH:$PWD/bin
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/Delite# export JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-amd64/
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/Delite# build-optiml
[info] Compiling 1 Scala source to /opt/optiml/Delite/framework/delite-test/target/scala-2.10/classes...
[info] Compiling 53 Scala sources to /opt/optiml/Delite/dsls/optila/target/scala-2.10/classes...
/usr/bin/sbt: line 3:  2783 Killed                  java -Xmx2g -XX:MaxPermSize=1g -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=128m -jar /opt/sbt/sbt-launch.jar "$@"
root@pc5-vm:/opt/optiml/Delite# echo $?
137

How can I install OptiML?

Regards,
Akinori ABE

Arvind Sujeeth

Sep 15, 2013, 3:38:04 PM9/15/13
to opt...@googlegroups.com
hi Akinori,

It looks like you are following the steps correctly - I'm not sure what's causing the process to be killed. You might try increasing the java heap size (i.e. using -Xmx4g instead of -Xmx2g in your '~/bin/sbt' script, if you have the physical memory available).

Another option would be to try to the next version of OptiML, which is not released, lightly documented, but perhaps a little lighter weight to compile. To do, follow the instructions here, under "Using an existing Forge DSL":

https://github.com/stanford-ppl/Forge/

We are currently working on updating the getting started guide to use the new version. I'll send out an update when better docs are available.

thanks,
Arvind

Akinori ABE

Sep 16, 2013, 4:02:31 AM9/16/13
to opt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Arvind,

Thanks for your advice.
I tried using -Xmx4g in my sbt, but still failed.

Can the instruction "Using an existing Forge DSL" be used if compilation of OptiML failed?
I can not find bin/update anywhere.
Instead of that, I tried the instruction "Installation, " but the same error happened.

Regards,
Akinori

2013年9月16日月曜日 4時38分04秒 UTC+9 asujeeth:

Arvind Sujeeth

Sep 16, 2013, 2:17:06 PM9/16/13
to opt...@googlegroups.com
Strange. I haven't encountered this problem or heard of anyone else who has, either. There might be something else going on with your environment or SBT installation that is unrelated to Delite/OptiML.

The bin/update script is here: https://github.com/stanford-ppl/Forge/blob/master/bin/update

And the instructions of "Using an existing Forge DSL" actually include compiling OptiML (independently of the old version of OptiML that you downloaded from the Delite repo and couldn't compile because of the process exiting). If your issue is with SBT or some other general component, then it will probably fail with the same error.

Arvind

Akinori ABE

Sep 17, 2013, 5:13:22 AM9/17/13
to opt...@googlegroups.com
hi,

I succeeded in compiling OptiML-beta in the new environment, 64-bit Debian 7 on VMWare.
As you mentioned, my environment had a problem, but I could not identify what it is.

Thank you for your kind advices.
I am very glad I can use OptiML!

Thanks,
Akinori