OSSolverService

Singh

Jun 23, 2008, 12:08:17 PM6/23/08
to Optimization Services (OS)
Hello,

I need to access OSSolverService from another application that will
provide the problem instance in OSIL format.
How can I do that? . I am creating a user interface for the user to
feed the problem instance. After problem is fed, the GUI will create
OSIL instance. So, how can I access the solver service?
I would appreciate any suggestions. I also want to know what makes
OSIL different from LPFML schema. Wasn't LPFML schema good enough?

Thanks in advance.

-Tejinder Singh

Kipp Martin

Jun 23, 2008, 1:17:51 PM6/23/08
to optimizati...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tejinder:

> I need to access OSSolverService from another application that will
> provide the problem instance in OSIL format.
> How can I do that? . I am creating a user interface for the user to
> feed the problem instance. After problem is fed, the GUI will create
> OSIL instance. So, how can I access the solver service?

So I am assuming you have the OSiL instance created? If the
OSSolverService is on the same machine then you can do something like

OSSolverService -osil fileName

You can also link the application to the OSlib and build a model using
the OSInstance API. Have you looked at the examples in OS/examples. See
for example OS/examples/instanceGenerator.

The users manual in OS/doc also has lots of examples.

> I would appreciate any suggestions. I also want to know what makes
> OSIL different from LPFML schema. Wasn't LPFML schema good enough?

OSiL is much broader. It has been extended to include for example
nonlinear and stochastic programming.

Cheers,

--
Kipp Martin
Professor of Operations Research

Horand Gassmann

Jun 24, 2008, 7:09:53 AM6/24/08
Quoting Kipp Martin <Kipp....@ChicagoGSB.edu>:

> Hi Tejinder:
>

>> I need to access OSSolverService from another application that will
>> provide the problem instance in OSIL format.
>> How can I do that? . I am creating a user interface for the user to
>> feed the problem instance. After problem is fed, the GUI will create
>> OSIL instance. So, how can I access the solver service?
>
> So I am assuming you have the OSiL instance created? If the
> OSSolverService is on the same machine then you can do something like
>
> OSSolverService -osil fileName
>
> You can also link the application to the OSlib and build a model using
> the OSInstance API. Have you looked at the examples in OS/examples. See
> for example OS/examples/instanceGenerator.
>
> The users manual in OS/doc also has lots of examples.

Kipp's answer should be augmented by pointing you specifically to
section 10.3.7 of the user's manual, which describes the API for
the six main methods implemented in OSSolverService. We do not
currently have an example of how to use them. Maybe in version 1.2.

Cheers

gus

Kipp Martin

Jun 24, 2008, 1:34:10 PM6/24/08
to optimizati...@googlegroups.com
Hi All:

> the six main methods implemented in OSSolverService. We do not
> currently have an example of how to use them. Maybe in version 1.2.

Actually there are numerous examples on pages 56-65 of the current
User's Manual in the trunk, stable and release versions.

Thanks

Singh

Jun 24, 2008, 6:05:14 PM6/24/08
to Optimization Services (OS)
Thanks a lot for your replies.

It was a great help. I will let you know if I had any further issues
implementing it.

Thanks,
Tejinder