Doubt regarding review process for Android Projects

Jishnu Goyal

Mar 30, 2022, 12:28:43 PM3/30/22
to oppia-gsoc-discuss
I wanted to confirm whether this is the right group to ask for Gsoc Android team projects or not.. Or whether the reviews for these projects have started yet or not.
I was concerned because I haven't received a feedback on my proposal that I submitted last week.
Please redirect me if I'm missing something!
Thanks!

Sean Lip

Mar 30, 2022, 12:40:44 PM3/30/22
to Jishnu Goyal, Ben Henning, oppia-gsoc-discuss
+Ben Henning

Hi Jishnu,

Sorry for the delay on this, and thanks for reaching out!

Your reviewer is Ben (cc'd), but he has been completely heads-down the past week with a major time-sensitive Android release which was pushed a few hours ago -- so that's why there's been a delay in looking at your proposal.

I expect he'll look at it in the next few days, but if I might make a suggestion, I would also encourage you to try and get some PRs merged in the meantime, since those are just as important as your proposal (cf. the selection notes on the GSoC wiki page).

Thanks,
Sean

Jishnu Goyal

Apr 1, 2022, 4:20:22 AM4/1/22
to oppia-gsoc-discuss
Thank you so much Sir for clearing that up!
In the meantime I'll work on the suggestions and get some PRs merged as well :)

Ben Henning

Apr 3, 2022, 12:04:12 AM4/3/22
to Sean Lip, Jishnu Goyal, oppia-gsoc-discuss
Hi Jishnu.

So sorry for the delay here--I really appreciate your patience.

I took a first pass on section 2. Overall, I think there are details missing as not the entire user flow is being considered. Please also note that there are two things missing from the PRD that need to be accounted for (I'm also adding these as notes to the GSoC description for the project):
  • The exploration playing experience needs to work with a 'demo' exploration to ensure we can walk the user through each of the features outlined in the PRD (it's really hard to make this work with any exploration, so a demo exploration is a cleaner approach).
  • We need to add an option to the user's profile to reset their tutorial progress so that in the event they accidentally cancel a tutorial they can still return to it somehow.
Please follow-up once you'd like another review pass.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Henning

Apr 3, 2022, 1:32:25 AM4/3/22
to Sean Lip, Jishnu Goyal, oppia-gsoc-discuss
Quick follow-up: I sent another email on the 'project 6.2' thread to clarify further the behavior of the exploration player walkthrough--I suggest making sure you're aware of that change (since it no longer requires a demo exploration to be created).

Ben
Message has been deleted

Ben Henning

Apr 14, 2022, 8:24:41 PM4/14/22
to Jishnu Goyal, oppia-gsoc-discuss
Thanks Jishnu.

(Replying here so that we only have 1 conversation thread for your proposal moving forward to keep things simpler).

I left two comments on your document. Overall, I think there are more flows that can be added, and I think the mocks can be incorporated more directly into the document. I'll take another pass on both once these are addressed, but I think you'll be able to proceed to the next section after the next review is done.

Ben

On Mon, Apr 11, 2022 at 2:23 PM Jishnu Goyal <jishnug...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,
Thank you so much for the follow up!

I have included all the required changes in my proposal. I have also included the links to Figma mocks and prototypes in the proposal and updated the entries wherever necessary. PTAL and let me know if it might be the time to write the "HOW" section of the proposal.

Thanks!

Jishnu Goyal

Apr 15, 2022, 9:08:20 PM4/15/22
to oppia-gsoc-discuss
Hello Ben,

Due to very limited time, I had to prioritize filling up the further sections of the Proposal, but I'll make sure to include all the pending sections before submitting again tomorrow. Meanwhile I look forward to having your feedback on the HOW and Implementation Sections of the proposal.

Thanks!

Sean Lip

Apr 16, 2022, 5:36:08 PM4/16/22
to Jishnu Goyal, oppia-gsoc-discuss
Hi Jishnu,

We have received a complaint that your proposal is not shared properly; the sharing settings are restricted to a limited audience. Please see point 4 in the instructions in the proposal template.

This negatively impacts how we view your proposal, because you are not following the same requirements that we have asked of other applicants. I would advise that you fix this as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Sean

Jishnu Goyal

Apr 16, 2022, 5:51:17 PM4/16/22
to oppia-gsoc-discuss
Thanks for the reminder and apologies -- I'll fix it right away!

Jishnu Goyal

Apr 16, 2022, 5:53:12 PM4/16/22
to oppia-gsoc-discuss
PTAL at the proposal again and let me know your feedback

Thanks,
Jishnu