Frontend Test Failures

A0RA CA1P

Sep 9, 2021, 5:10:42 PM9/9/21
to oppia-dev

Hi Oppia devs,

As many of you have been reporting on Gitter, the frontend tests have been failing. We have seen failures on developers' local machines, on PR CI runs, and on CI runs on develop. These failures have the following form:

Expected function to throw an exception with message 'Cannot read property '...' of undefined', but it threw an exception with message 'Cannot read properties of undefined (reading '...')'.

First off, if you see a failure like this, it is almost certainly not your fault! Instead, we believe the problem was caused by a recent change to V8, Google's JavaScript engine that is used in Chrome. Check out our debugging doc for details. We are working on fixing this problem, and we'll let you know once a fix has been merged into develop.

Thanks!

Sean Lip

Sep 9, 2021, 11:36:49 PM9/9/21
to A0RA CA1P, oppia-dev
Hi all,

This has been fixed and merged into develop. Thank you Chris for the fix!

Please merge develop into your branches if you are experiencing failures on your branch on GitHub.

Thanks,
Sean

A0RA CA1P

Sep 10, 2021, 9:21:38 AM9/10/21
to oppia-dev

Hi everyone,

Please note that PR #13842 fixes the frontend tests by changing the error messages that our tests expect so that they match a new format introduced in Chrome 93. This means that you may need to update your local Chrome installations in order to get the tests to pass locally.

Thanks!

You can find the PR here: https://github.com/oppia/oppia/pull/13842

<https://gitter.im/oppia/oppia-chat?at=613a68a25739ab2df8e4698b>, the

<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JuViL7a9FZ_3SNE_7jfrviYr1clvFF08sOJaZlWcXB8>