[IMPORTANT] Python 3 PR was merged

Vojtěch Jelínek

Aug 6, 2021, 9:16:15 PM8/6/21
to oppia-dev
Hey Oppia devs,

We have just merged the Python 3 PR, huge thanks to all the people that helped with the preparation of this important upgrade!

If you didn't yet follow our updated Linux installation guide, please do so. The instructions for Mac OS and Windows are not yet updated, if you develop on any of these platforms, please try to utilize the Linux guide and modify them to the platform you use. Feel free to also update our guides if you find any problems with it.

The migration to Python 3 is not yet fully finalized but all the important stuff is included. Please look at this guide to Bytes and string handling as it is one of the biggest changes. Other big changes are new libraries used for handling of the datastore (Cloud NDB) and for handling of the storage (Cloud Storage).

If you are waiting for Beam jobs, these are not yet included but I will be focusing on those in the upcoming days.

If you have any questions feel free to ask me, if you have setup related questions I would recommend also using our gitter since there might be other people that had similar problem that can help you.

Thanks,
Vojta

Sean Lip

Aug 6, 2021, 10:54:06 PM8/6/21
to Vojtěch Jelínek, oppia-dev
Thank you, Vojta, and anyone else who worked on this! Getting the Python 3 migration completed is a really big deal and completes a year-long migration project.

Just a note for developers: if you already have a Python 2 version of the repo on your machine, it might be a good idea to create a new folder and a fresh clone rather than overwriting your current one, so that you can make sure the new installation is fully working on your machine and you can retrieve all your branches from the server before deleting the old directory.

Thanks,
Sean