Status of OPML Editor

Gary Furash

Dec 15, 2011, 1:37:59 PM12/15/11
to opml...@googlegroups.com
I like the Frontier editor very much and, for some strange reason, there are very few single pane windows outliners that support OPML in/out.

I understand this is free work, and appreciate it. However … is the OPML editor still alive? Do developer's tinker with it when it needs to be tinkered with? I couldn't tell from the site.

Great product though, thanks.

Ben Greenfield

Dec 15, 2011, 2:11:02 PM12/15/11
to opml...@googlegroups.com
It is kind of an open question and since I'm struggling with the same issues and I thinkg this list could use more traffic. Sorry in advance for anyone that expects me to make a point with this response..

On Dec 15, 2011, at 1:37 PM, Gary Furash wrote:

> I like the Frontier editor very much and, for some strange reason, there are very few single pane windows outliners that support OPML in/out.

It is a wonderful and very unique product. I'm a long time user that drifted away during the 5.0 time period and have evaluated the various versions through the years. Just for kicks I picked it up a couple of weeks ago to evaluate for my web presence. It seems to be in pretty good shape but figuring out what documentation to use is not easy. I would really like this evaluation to work out and it seems to be pretty close.

The part I'm struggling with is that frontier was originally conceived as a very open extensible system which is best explained in the 4.2.3 docs. Over time it evolved layers that are specific to dynamic internet/web based processing that happens in external roots.

I never really picked up the external roots while initially working the tool in the 90's and I still have an unease(old dog new trick) to external roots. Right now I'm poking around in the webrender in the opml.root.

> I understand this is free work, and appreciate it. However … is the OPML editor still alive?

I would say the opml editior seems to be in better shape the the open source frontier I tried 2 years ago. I could never get that version to communicate with filemaker and I got the new opml editor to do it. I see that as an improvement.

Right now I'm trying to get a binary built that should enable calling scripts and properties from the object database from the terminal. If I can get that done I think I'll stick with it. It exists in Frontier but needs to be recompiled for opml editor.

> Do developer's tinker with it when it needs to be tinkered with? I couldn't tell from the site.

I would say that if this list where developers exchange ideas and fixes about the opml editor it is in the early days and the community hasn't gelled yet. It could be this isn't the place but I haven't found a better place: )

I think that opml editor's code is old enough that the features work. There are probably bugs but you would be better off working around the bugs then hoping they will be fixed. The good news that it is a very fluid scripting environment and it is quite easy to skin the cat many different ways.

I hope you stick around,

Ben

> Great product though, thanks.

Dave Winer

Dec 15, 2011, 2:23:44 PM12/15/11
to opml...@googlegroups.com
You guys might want to:

1. Read the charter for this list.

2. Start a new list with a new charter that suits your needs.

3. Post one announcement here with a pointer to that list.

You're way off-topic, and it's not cool to hijack the list like this.

Thanks...

Dave