difference between "title" and "text"

c.b...@posteo.jp

Jan 23, 2017, 12:14:58 AM1/23/17
to opml-dev
I plan to write my own Newsread for Newsfeeds (RSS/Atom).
In that context I am in touch with OPML.

I want to know what the difference is between the attributes title and
text. All OPML-file I saw have them but the values are always the same.
So I can not see why I need both of them.

Ted Howard

Jan 23, 2017, 10:58:07 AM1/23/17
to opml-dev

I don't think you need both. From the spec, text is a required attribute of outline elements.
http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html#textAttribute

For subscription lists (what you're doing with an RSS reader), title is optional and is derived from the title of the RSS feed.

Dave Winer

Jan 23, 2017, 10:58:07 AM1/23/17
to opml...@googlegroups.com
This is covered in the OPML 2.0 spec.

Dave

Ted Howard

Jan 23, 2017, 10:58:07 AM1/23/17
to opml-dev

On 22 Jan 2017, at 22:45, c.b...@posteo.jp wrote:

I don't think you need both. From the spec, text is a required attribute of outline elements.
http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html#textAttribute

c.b...@posteo.jp

Jan 24, 2017, 12:27:31 PM1/24/17
to opml...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-01-23 00:23 Dave Winer <da...@smallpicture.com> wrote:
> This is covered in the OPML 2.0 spec.
> http://dev.opml.org/spec2.html

I cite

"Optional attributes: ..., title, ..."
"title is probably the same as text, it should not be omitted."

Maybe my english is to bad. But isn't this a contradiction? "title"
should not be "ommited"(!!) but it is "optional"?

And I ask again: If title and text have the same values ("title is
probably the same as text") why is "title" there? In which situations
wouldn't they have the same values?

Dave Winer

Jan 24, 2017, 12:36:03 PM1/24/17
to opml...@googlegroups.com
If you have any further questions about how to use OPML, ask them and hopefully we can help.

This is a support list, not a place to explain or debate why things are they way they are.

Dave

c.b...@posteo.jp

Jan 24, 2017, 2:47:30 PM1/24/17
to opml...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-01-24 12:35 Dave Winer <da...@smallpicture.com> wrote:
> If you have any further questions about how to use OPML, ask them and
> hopefully we can help.

"them" and "we"? You confuse me.

This is the "opml-dev" list. So who do you mean with "them" and how can
I ask them? I thought this list was the place for it.

Dave Winer

Jan 24, 2017, 3:18:05 PM1/24/17
to opml...@googlegroups.com
If you have more questions then ask those questions here.