Specifying image repositories/proxies to use with OLM/operator-sdk

Kevin Serikstad

Jul 11, 2023, 5:40:06 PM7/11/23
to Operator Framework
Hi,

I installed and investigated means to get OLM to use image repository proxies as is commonly used within corporations like mine, but could not find a solution. Rephrasing the issue, company-wide Kubernetes policies only allow images that have been pulled through our corporate image repositories and/or proxies.

Is there any facility for altering the image repositories/ports used to download images for an operator through OLM/operator-sdk?

Thanks.

Kevin Serikstad

Vu Dinh

Jul 11, 2023, 5:56:41 PM7/11/23
to Operator Framework
Hi Kevin,

I assume you mean the operator bundle and registry images. You can certainly build your own registry images with all the bundles and push them to your own registries. Then, you can reference your images in the CatalogSource object. OLM (cluster container runtime) pull images from those references. If you need to use private registries, then include pull secrets in the CatalogSource spec.

I hope that helps,

Vu

Frederic Giloux

Jul 12, 2023, 4:15:25 AM7/12/23
to kseri...@gmail.com, Operator Framework, Vu Dinh
Hi Kevin

If you are using OpenShift you can configure ImageDigestMirrorSet or ImageTagMirrorSet for global configuration of image proxies. With older versions there was ImageContentSourcePolicy.
https://docs.openshift.com/container-platform/4.13/openshift_images/image-configuration.html#images-configuration-registry-mirror_image-configuration

If you are using kind or another Kubernetes distribution you can configure the same directly at the container engine level running on the node. EKS or AKS may have their own way of doing it.
Here is one of the first result returned by Google for configuring cri-o:
https://shivering-isles.com/mirroring-your-cluster-images

Regards,

Frédéric

Frédéric Giloux
OpenShift Engineering
Red Hat Germany

fgi...@redhat.com

M: +49-174-172-4661

edhat.com | TRIED. TESTED. TRUSTED. | redhat.com/trusted
Red Hat GmbH, Registered seat: Werner-von-Siemens-Ring 12, D-85630 Grasbrunn, Germany
Commercial register: Amtsgericht München/Munich, HRB 153243,
Managing Directors: Ryan Barnhart, Charles Cachera, Michael O'Neill, Amy Ross

Anik Bhattacharjee

Jul 12, 2023, 8:12:41 AM7/12/23
to Frederic Giloux, kseri...@gmail.com, Operator Framework, Vu Dinh
Looks like there's some additional info required to answer your question accurately Kevin. Looking at the question, I was thinking about this doc that might be helpful to you:

Anik Bhattacharjee

Software Engineer - Openshift

Red Hat

300 A Street

Boston, MA 02210

Kevin Serikstad

Jul 12, 2023, 1:44:47 PM7/12/23
to Anik Bhattacharjee, Frederic Giloux, Operator Framework, Vu Dinh
Hi,

This is exactly what I was looking for as well as confirmation that there is not currently some sort of proxy mechanism supported.

Thanks!

Kevin Serikstad

Anik Bhattacharjee

Jul 12, 2023, 1:50:14 PM7/12/23
to Kevin Serikstad, Frederic Giloux, Operator Framework, Vu Dinh
Right, I see what you mean now. There is no direct proxy mechanism built into OLM components.

Anik Bhattacharjee

Software Engineer - Openshift

Red Hat

300 A Street

Boston, MA 02210

Vu Dinh

Jul 12, 2023, 3:15:48 PM7/12/23
to Operator Framework
Hey Kevin,

I think Anik already gave the answer you need. Just a few points here I want to mention. There is no direct proxy mechanism in OLM because the current OLM doesn't handle pulling images directly. OLM usually spins up a bunch of pods with image references and the cluster container runtime will do the pulling part to make those images available on the nodes. There is nothing stopping you from referencing proxy images in the CatalogSources as long as the container runtime is configured to pull those images successfully.

Vu