MultiNamespace InstallMode not working

John Frizelle

Feb 5, 2021, 1:15:04 PM2/5/21
to Operator Framework
Hi Folks,

I have been trying to install the Strimzi Operator using the MultiNamespace Install Mode as documented here: https://github.com/operator-framework/operator-lifecycle-manager/blob/master/doc/design/operatorgroups.md#target-namespace-selection

I have encountered a few problems here:
- Even though the operators csv declares that it supports all 4 install modes, only cluster scoped and namespace scoped are available via the OLM UI (see attached screenshot).

- If I install in namespace mode and then update the operator group spec from
  targetNamespaces:
  - my-namespace
selector:
    cool.io/prod: "true"
the selector value is immediately removed and the operator is switched from namespace scoped to cluster scope.

It would appear as if the MultiNamespace selector is not supported based on the fact that the selector value is immediately removed by the system.

Any thoughts / suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
John.

--

John Frizelle

Distinguished Engineer

Chief Architect, Cloud Services

Red Hat

Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 18.12.33.png

Alexander Greene

Feb 5, 2021, 2:44:56 PM2/5/21
to John Frizelle, Operator Framework
Hello John,

Seems like the documentation on OperatorGroups using Selectors is incorrect, the spec should be set to:

```
$ oc get og my-group -o yaml | yq read - spec
selector:
  matchLabels:
    cool.io/prod: "true"
```

This is actually done correctly further down in the article. I've made a PR against the OLM repo fixing this documentation error.

Thanks for helping us improve our documentation.

Best,

Alexander W. Greene
Software Developer

+1 412 508 5479