Long term support for olm.substitutesFor annotation

p.g.ric...@phantomjinx.co.uk

Oct 6, 2022, 3:08:38 PM10/6/22
to operator-framework-olm-dev
Hi,

Our project (camel-k) has been trying to overcome difficulties with image respins of our product. Until now, we had been trying to do it by substituting the replaces property in the OLM CSV. However, we have only just found out today that not only does the olm.substitutes annotation exist but that it is also supported by our internal build systems. Therefore, it seems to be just what we need to solve our problem.

In doing the investigation, we came across issue #782 (Deprecate substitute-for field in the CSV). Obviously, we have a bit of work to migrate to this property but just want to check on its long-term viability seeing as its not clear as to whether it will be deprecated, please?

Thanks

Paul Richardson (Red Hat)

Lance Galletti

Oct 6, 2022, 3:27:53 PM10/6/22
to p.g.ric...@phantomjinx.co.uk, operator-framework-olm-dev
The field will be deprecated. An identical feature (and more) is available with the use of File-Base Catalogs (a declarative api for update graph management).

He / Him / His
Senior Software Engineer
OpenShift