"your browser doesn't accept cookies"

Wojciech A. Koszek

Feb 8, 2011, 1:56:17 AM2/8/11

For some sites, "sometimes" Opera 11 doesn't seem to advertise itself as a
browser accepting cookies. I believe it might be because Cookie which
is sent by the website to the browser isn't being served in the consecutive
requests, but I haven't checked.

The result is that I can't use some web pages. I haven't checked for which,
but maybe has a list. I'll provide an example next time it happens.

Am I the only one who experienced that?

--- my Opera ---

Wersja
11.01

Kompilacja
1190

Platforma
Linux

System
i686, 2.6.32-28-generic

--
Wojciech A. Koszek
wko...@FreeBSD.org

Yngve N. Pettersen

Feb 8, 2011, 3:31:45 PM2/8/11
On Tue, 08 Feb 2011 01:56:17 -0500, "Wojciech A. Koszek"
<wko...@freebsd.czest.pl> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>For some sites, "sometimes" Opera 11 doesn't seem to advertise itself as a
>browser accepting cookies. I believe it might be because Cookie which
>is sent by the website to the browser isn't being served in the consecutive
>requests, but I haven't checked.
>
>The result is that I can't use some web pages. I haven't checked for which,
>but maybe has a list. I'll provide an example next time it happens.
>
>Am I the only one who experienced that?

A browser does not advertise that it supports cookies (there is no
mechanism for that), the server must try to set the cookie using a
Set-Cookie HTTP header, and see if it gets it back in a Cookie HTTP
header.

We have seen servers determine wether or not to send a cookie based on
browser-sniffing and only send cookies to a limited list of browsers
"known to support" cookies. Then when a server decides to not send a
cookie to a client that do support cookies, but isn't on the list, it
complains that the client must enable cookies when it doesn't get the
cookie it didn't send. I call this the "Catch-22"-cookie.

You can use the Dragonfly developer tool in Opera to see what headers
the server actally sends, and what Opera sends to the server.

Stefan Kanthak

Feb 9, 2011, 12:20:25 PM2/9/11
"Wojciech A. Koszek" <wko...@freebsd.czest.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For some sites, "sometimes" Opera 11 doesn't seem to advertise itself as a
> browser accepting cookies. I believe it might be because Cookie which
> is sent by the website to the browser isn't being served in the consecutive
> requests, but I haven't checked.
>
> The result is that I can't use some web pages. I haven't checked for which,
> but maybe has a list. I'll provide an example next time it happens.
>
> Am I the only one who experienced that?

No. I experience(d) such false error messages on certain sites (ebay.* is
notorious) in every Opera since 7.xx.

Stefan