Operamail now 'in-house'

Whiskers

Mar 10, 2011, 1:44:17 PM3/10/11
Good news!

Logged in to my Operamail account this evening, to find that it is now
operated by Fastmail - which Opera recently purchased. It now has the
Fastmail web interface and offers all the usual Fastmail options.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

ishmale

Mar 20, 2011, 6:38:42 PM3/20/11
Slowmail, compared to the previous operator.

I am not amused.

Whiskers

Mar 21, 2011, 11:51:09 AM3/21/11
On 2011-03-20, ishmale <my...@myob.is> wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 18:44:17 +0000, Whiskers wrote:
>
>> Good news!
>>
>> Logged in to my Operamail account this evening, to find that it is now
>> operated by Fastmail - which Opera recently purchased. It now has the
>> Fastmail web interface and offers all the usual Fastmail options.
>
> Slowmail, compared to the previous operator.
>
> I am not amused.

Really? Seems just as quick to me - and a lot more useful; free IMAP and
really effective filters are worth having. Not to mention restoration of
the option to pay for a 'premium' account with SMTP and other handy
services.

Paul

Mar 21, 2011, 9:08:18 PM3/21/11

The old Operamail was simple and quick. It was the most dependable of the
four free accounts I still use. It had adequate filters and over many
years I never received more than a handful of spam messages.

Its storage capacity was small, but that just ensured that I cleaned out
the old stuff frequently.

I am sorry to see it go.

-- Paul

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:44:17 -0500, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com>
wrote:

> Good news!
>
> Logged in to my Operamail account this evening, to find that it is now
> operated by Fastmail - which Opera recently purchased. It now has the
> Fastmail web interface and offers all the usual Fastmail options.

ishmale

Mar 22, 2011, 2:38:34 PM3/22/11
Yes, really.
I have dialup, and the new operamail takes much longer download to start;
then when I go back a page it has to reload that last page!
Even firefox doesn't do that anymore.

Stereotactic

Mar 22, 2011, 2:51:00 PM3/22/11
Seems odd. I have a paid Fastmail account (enhanced) and is ONE OF THE
BEST service providers EVER. In any case, you are unlikely to get any
help here. I strongly suggest that if you are facing any issues, raise
it in the forums or www.emaildiscussions.com which is the unofficial
channel for Fastmail support.

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Linux Mint 10) Linux 2.6.38

Whiskers

Mar 23, 2011, 5:03:45 PM3/23/11
On 2011-03-22, ishmale <my...@myob.is> wrote:
> Yes, really.
> I have dialup, and the new operamail takes much longer download to start;
> then when I go back a page it has to reload that last page!
> Even firefox doesn't do that anymore.

[...]

That's surprising; the Fastmail interface is designed to be quick and
clean. I found the previous Operamail design very clunky and sluggish in
comparison.

But if you're using dial-up, you should give serious consideration to
using a local email client (Opera has one built in) rather than webmail of
any sort. That way there is no web page stuff to download at all, only
email messages, and you can read and compose while 'off line' - which can
save a small fortune if your dial-up is charged per minute!

Whereas the previous incarnation of Operamail had dropped all provision
for use with a local email client, the new Fastmail version includes IMAP
access even in the free "guest" account. If your ISP offers an SMTP
server which can be set up to "relay" emails you send using your Operamail
address, you already have all you need. Or there are paid-for SMTP relay
services (such as "AuthSMTP"
<http://www.authsmtp.com/auth-smtp/pricing.html>) - or of course you can
now upgrade Operamail to an "Ad-Free" or higher service level including
SMTP, something that hasn't been possible for quite some time.

sprockets

Apr 8, 2011, 3:16:11 AM4/8/11
On Monday March 21 2011 at 9:08:18 PM DST Paul posted in opera.operamail:

Just tried it out, noticed the listing under MY Opera Blog page for Opera
Mail.
Took a look at it, seems its a simple layout and function;
and NO Advertisements for a free e-mail service.
Guess they just gave it out to us in the Community, thats OK.

Don't know how much storage space for free?

Thanks,
sprockets

--
Opera Web Browser 10.63 and e-mail client

Remco Lanting

Apr 8, 2011, 8:43:20 AM4/8/11
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 09:16:11 +0200, sprockets <rftvhf...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Don't know how much storage space for free?

1GB

--
Remco Lanting

[Unofficial Opera bug tracker links]
http://opera.r3m.co/bugs |
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=217364 |
remco.lanting...@gmail.com

Paul

Apr 8, 2011, 1:05:37 PM4/8/11
On Fri, 08 Apr 2011 03:16:11 -0400, sprockets <rftvhf...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> ... and NO Advertisements for a free e-mail service.

There is one text box near the top of the page. However, it's the least
obtrusive advertising I've seen in a long time.