Remove from view

Howard Brazee

Jun 7, 2004, 2:47:06 PM6/7/04
I'm used to reading messages and then moving them to folders where I can find
them later.

I've been playing around with M2 trying to duplicate this functionality -
hopefully in a way that shows me why M2 is more useful.

What I am finding is that the "received" view is pretty useless. I can't CTL-X
a message from there, so it contains all received messages. I can't do massive
purging of messages from there, as I might accidentally delete messages that I
don't want deleted. I set up my "received" view to not show anything except
"read", but it seems to be showing everything. It shows messages I also find
in my filters. It indicates that it owns an unread message (which I can't find
anywhere - a recurring problem).

What I would like to do is have a catch all filter that only contains messages
that aren't in some other filter. Messages that I have read but haven't yet
stored in a safe place. Where if I deleted everything in that filter, I
haven't lost anything I had previously decided was important.

How do I do this?

(My worst fear with M2 is that I will accidentally delete important data when I
manually try to purge my message base into a manageable size).

Matt

Jun 7, 2004, 2:54:06 PM6/7/04
Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:

> I'm used to reading messages and then moving them to folders where I can
> find
> them later.

<snip>

> What I would like to do is have a catch all filter that only contains
> messages
> that aren't in some other filter. Messages that I have read but
> haven't yet
> stored in a safe place. Where if I deleted everything in that filter, I
> haven't lost anything I had previously decided was important.
>
> How do I do this?

Whilst looking at the Received view, click View, Show, Show Filtered (so
it is now unticked). On each of your filters, set the properties to mark
as filtered (right click on the filter, Properties, Rules, Mark Messages
As Filtered). Then, the Received view will only show messages that aren't
in another filter.

--
Matt

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 7, 2004, 3:16:21 PM6/7/04
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:47:06 GMT, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:

> I'm used to reading messages and then moving them to folders where I can
> find them later.
>
> I've been playing around with M2 trying to duplicate this functionality
> - hopefully in a way that shows me why M2 is more useful.

If you keep working that way, you might possibly find that M2 isn't much
more useful than other clients.

> What I am finding is that the "received" view is pretty useless. I
> can't CTL-X a message from there, so it contains all received messages.

Yes, that's the point of that view...

> I can't do massive purging of messages from there, as I might
> accidentally delete messages that I don't want deleted.

What do you mean by 'purging'?

> I set up my "received" view to not show anything except "read", but it
> seems to be showing everything.

It's different here, because I get most of my mail from mailing lists,
which can be toggled on and of.

> It shows messages I also find in my filters. It indicates that it
> owns an unread message (which I can't find anywhere - a recurring
> problem).

If you disable all filtering options, you should be able to find it. This
means clicking all 'Quick view' buttons, and possible also setting 'Mail >
Show account > All accounts'.

> What I would like to do is have a catch all filter that only contains
> messages that aren't in some other filter. Messages that I have read
> but haven't yet stored in a safe place. Where if I deleted everything
> in that filter, I haven't lost anything I had previously decided was
> important.
>
> How do I do this?

By checking 'Mark as filtered' in all your filters.

> (My worst fear with M2 is that I will accidentally delete important data
> when I manually try to purge my message base into a manageable size).

If you mark important messages with labels, you can check in the Trash bin
(by sorting on the Label column) if you accidentally deleted some.

The bigger issue is: why do feel the urge to keep your message base small?
I just let it grow, and I know Opera will find messages for me when I want
them (either by looking at all messages from one of my contacts, by
looking in one of the access points, or by using the fast search function.

--
The Web is a procrastination apparatus: | Rijk van Geijtenbeek
It can absorb as much time as | Documentation & QA

Howard Brazee

Jun 7, 2004, 3:23:10 PM6/7/04

On 7-Jun-2004, Matt <nosp...@spam.matt.blissett.me.uk> wrote:

> > How do I do this?
>
> Whilst looking at the Received view, click View, Show, Show Filtered (so
> it is now unticked). On each of your filters, set the properties to mark
> as filtered (right click on the filter, Properties, Rules, Mark Messages
> As Filtered). Then, the Received view will only show messages that aren't
> in another filter.

Thanks.

One more step necessary - I needed to close and re-open Opera to see this
change.

Howard Brazee

Jun 7, 2004, 3:31:35 PM6/7/04

On 7-Jun-2004, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek" <ri...@opera.com> wrote:

> > I'm used to reading messages and then moving them to folders where I can
> > find them later.
> >
> > I've been playing around with M2 trying to duplicate this functionality
> > - hopefully in a way that shows me why M2 is more useful.
>
> If you keep working that way, you might possibly find that M2 isn't much
> more useful than other clients.

I expect so. But I haven't seen any explanation on how to work better except
to imply that I should change my thinking.

#1. I cannot risk losing valuable messages - even by accidentally deleting
them myself.

Nothing else matters half way as much as this is.

#2. There are some messages that I cannot categorize automatically. Only by
reading them do I realize that this message belongs on the view about project
ABC that I am working on.

> > I can't do massive purging of messages from there, as I might
> > accidentally delete messages that I don't want deleted.
>
> What do you mean by 'purging'?

Getting rid of messages that I no longer need, while keeping messages I have
placed in safe spots. Most readers I have tried allow me to put some kind of
date limit - when messages in my sent basket are over, say, a month old, they
are purged. But messages in my Passwords or my Receipt folder remain.

> If you mark important messages with labels, you can check in the Trash bin
> (by sorting on the Label column) if you accidentally deleted some.
>
> The bigger issue is: why do feel the urge to keep your message base small?
> I just let it grow, and I know Opera will find messages for me when I want
> them (either by looking at all messages from one of my contacts, by
> looking in one of the access points, or by using the fast search function.

I suppose I could live with just deleting SPAM, at least as long as I don't use
M2 as my newsgroup program. Subscribe to a popular newsgroup and you can start
filling up disks - I suspect even M2 will slow down with enough messages.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 7, 2004, 3:59:40 PM6/7/04
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:31:35 GMT, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:
> On 7-Jun-2004, "Rijk van Geijtenbeek" <ri...@opera.com> wrote:

..

>> If you keep working that way, you might possibly find that M2 isn't much
>> more useful than other clients.
>
> I expect so. But I haven't seen any explanation on how to work better
> except to imply that I should change my thinking.

There have been plenty of postings on that subject. See also:
http://my.opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38220

..

>> The bigger issue is: why do feel the urge to keep your message base
>> small?
>> I just let it grow, and I know Opera will find messages for me when I
>> want them (either by looking at all messages from one of my contacts,
>> by looking in one of the access points, or by using the fast search
>> function.
>
> I suppose I could live with just deleting SPAM, at least as long as I
> don't use M2 as my newsgroup program. Subscribe to a popular newsgroup
> and you can start filling up disks - I suspect even M2 will slow down
> with enough messages.

Agreed here, I miss purging for newsgroups. Now and then I go to
'Received', select 'Mail > Show accounts > Newsgroups' from the main menu,
and delete all old messages. It would be better if Opera did this for me.

Geoff Morris

Jun 8, 2004, 4:22:28 AM6/8/04
On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 19:31:35 GMT, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net> wrote:

> #2. There are some messages that I cannot categorize automatically.
> Only by
> reading them do I realize that this message belongs on the view about
> project
> ABC that I am working on.

This cries out for a learning filter...

And regarding your wish to move things to a temporary folder for later
review - what about marking them with the "todo" or "important" labels?

--
Geoff
Sorry about the munged address - too many viruses out there!

Ole Kvaal

Jun 12, 2004, 12:46:22 PM6/12/04
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 19:54:06 +0100, Matt
<nosp...@spam.matt.blissett.me.uk> wrote:

> Whilst looking at the Received view, click View, Show, Show Filtered (so
> it is now unticked). On each of your filters, set the properties to mark
> as filtered (right click on the filter, Properties, Rules, Mark Messages
> As Filtered). Then, the Received view will only show messages that
> aren't in another filter.

In a perfect world, yes. But, sorry to say, of some strange reason this
doesn't always work for me: I've clicked-and-dragged quite a few mesgs
from 'Received' to various filters. All my filters properties have been
checked 'Mark as filtered' and the received view has the 'Show filtered'
unchecked. Still, lots of my 'filtered' messages appear in the Received
view. Any idea why this is so?

rgds,
ole k

Ole Kvaal

Jun 12, 2004, 2:15:55 PM6/12/04
On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:59:40 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <ri...@opera.com>
wrote:

> Agreed here, I miss purging for newsgroups. Now and then I go to
> 'Received', select 'Mail > Show accounts > Newsgroups' from the main
> menu, and delete all old messages. It would be better if Opera did this
> for me.

When I try to do this, the 'Received' list appears blank. Although there
is, without doubt, quite a lot of messages there that come from newsgroups
originally. Why is that so?

Ole Kvaal

Jun 12, 2004, 5:08:58 PM6/12/04
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:46:22 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:

> unchecked. Still, lots of my 'filtered' messages appear in the Received
> view. Any idea why this is so?

To be more precise, the number of messages when unchecking 'Show filtered'
in the Received folder, equals the number of messages when it is checked.
The messages _do_ show in each filter, but they won't disappear from the
'Received' folder.

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 13, 2004, 10:37:11 AM6/13/04
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:15:55 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:

> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:59:40 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek
> <ri...@opera.com> wrote:
>>
>> Agreed here, I miss purging for newsgroups. Now and then I go to
>> 'Received', select 'Mail > Show accounts > Newsgroups' from the main
>> menu, and delete all old messages. It would be better if Opera did this
>> for me.
>>
> When I try to do this, the 'Received' list appears blank.

Did you make sure to show 'Newgroups' messages in the Received view?

> Although there is, without doubt, quite a lot of messages there that
> come from newsgroups originally. Why is that so?

Rijk van Geijtenbeek

Jun 13, 2004, 10:38:15 AM6/13/04
On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:08:58 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:46:22 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:
>
>> unchecked. Still, lots of my 'filtered' messages appear in the Received
>> view. Any idea why this is so?
>>
> To be more precise, the number of messages when unchecking 'Show
> filtered' in the Received folder, equals the number of messages when it
> is checked. The messages _do_ show in each filter, but they won't
> disappear from the 'Received' folder.

Look again after a restart of Opera. Opera is not yet very good at
updating all other views after you switch that option on and off in
filters.

Ole Kvaal

Jun 13, 2004, 11:59:28 AM6/13/04
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:38:15 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <ri...@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:08:58 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 18:46:22 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:
>>
>>> unchecked. Still, lots of my 'filtered' messages appear in the
>>> Received view. Any idea why this is so?
>>>
>> To be more precise, the number of messages when unchecking 'Show
>> filtered' in the Received folder, equals the number of messages when it
>> is checked. The messages _do_ show in each filter, but they won't
>> disappear from the 'Received' folder.
>
> Look again after a restart of Opera. Opera is not yet very good at
> updating all other views after you switch that option on and off in
> filters.

Voila! It seemed to take several restarts. I started having troubles with
this early this week, but now, somehow, it works perfectly. I am very
happy to say that (almost) all my troubles, worries and objections
regarding Opera have vanished during the last two weeks! If only newsgroup
threading would be solved in a future release, I'd start telling all my
friends and relatives what a great program this is. Until then, I'll keep
it to myself.

Ole K

Ole Kvaal

Jun 13, 2004, 1:24:42 PM6/13/04
On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:37:11 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek <ri...@opera.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:15:55 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 21:59:40 +0200, Rijk van Geijtenbeek
>> <ri...@opera.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Agreed here, I miss purging for newsgroups. Now and then I go to
>>> 'Received', select 'Mail > Show accounts > Newsgroups' from the main
>>> menu, and delete all old messages. It would be better if Opera did
>>> this for me.
>>>
>> When I try to do this, the 'Received' list appears blank.
>
> Did you make sure to show 'Newgroups' messages in the Received view?

I'm sorry, I may have been mistaken here. What I called 'newsgroup
messages' were not actually in the newsgroups I am subscribing to now, but
were imported as stored newsgroup messages from Outlook Express. So I
automatically thought of them as belonging to 'newsgroups'. But in this
case that refers to messages in the present subscribed-to newsgroups, I
guess. Sorry for messing this up.

Ole K

Peter Sanders

Jun 14, 2004, 3:51:07 AM6/14/04
Hi

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 17:59:28 +0200, Ole Kvaal <okv...@online.no> wrote:

> Iam very happy to say that (almost) all my troubles, worries and

> objections regarding Opera have vanished during the last two weeks! If
> only newsgroup threading would be solved in a future release, I'd start

> telling all my friends and relatives what a great program thisis. Until

> then, I'll keep it to myself.

Why deprive all your friends and relatives of something SOOOOOO good, just
because it is not yet "perfect" for you :-)

I tell ALL the people *I* meet that need a good web browser, to use Opera.
The email and all other Opera features are a BONUS :-)

Speak up :-)

--
Kind regards

Peter - an avid Opera Fan :-)

Ole Kvaal

Jun 14, 2004, 9:28:10 AM6/14/04
On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 15:51:07 +0800, Peter Sanders
<psan...@multiline.com.au> wrote:

> Why deprive all your friends and relatives of something SOOOOOO good,
> just because it is not yet "perfect" for you :-)
>
> I tell ALL the people *I* meet that need a good web browser, to use
> Opera. The email and all other Opera features are a BONUS :-)
>
> Speak up :-)

Hehe. Well, thing is, that most people I know spend as much time with
their newsgroups/mail as with their browser. But to be honest, I've
started spreading the rumour already . . .

ole k

wht...@hotmail.com

Feb 11, 2014, 10:19:11 AM2/11/14

wht...@hotmail.com