Is Linux Opera now officially dead?

Stephen

Feb 22, 2014, 4:03:29 PM2/22/14
It has been a very long time since Linux opera was updated, and there
must surely be a security fix due since July 2013.

Can we now take it that Opera has officially abandoned the Linux platform?

Stephen

Jens Schuessler

Feb 22, 2014, 7:29:05 PM2/22/14
* Stephen <sha_w...@cut.inter!netdot.com> [22-02-14 21:03]:
> It has been a very long time since Linux opera was updated, and there
> must surely be a security fix due since July 2013.
>
> Can we now take it that Opera has officially abandoned the Linux platform?

Officially this is FUD and we just should be patient.itwillcomesomedayyaddayadda

Unofficially from my point of view it is dead since months. And that was
my believe even before former developers of Opera on Linux came out and
said so.
And I don't know if I should be unlucky that I can't ever use those function stripped
Chropera on Linux.
Sad, but true.

Warren Post

Feb 22, 2014, 8:16:02 PM2/22/14
On 02/22/2014 06:29 PM, Jens Schuessler wrote:
> And that was
> my believe even before former developers of Opera on Linux came out and
> said so.

Do you have URLs? I missed those statements and would like to read what
they had to say.

--
Warren Post
http://warrenpost.wordpress.com/

Jens Schuessler

Feb 22, 2014, 8:41:47 PM2/22/14
* Warren Post <war...@invalid.invalid> [23-02-14 01:16]:
> On 02/22/2014 06:29 PM, Jens Schuessler wrote:
>> And that was
>> my believe even before former developers of Opera on Linux came out and
>> said so.
>
> Do you have URLs? I missed those statements and would like to read what
> they had to say.

"At my previous employer, a small browser vendor that decided to abandon
its own rendering engine and browser stack, I stopped using our product
because Linux wasn't a priority. Numerous reasons were given, such as
low market share, “only geeks use it”, all journalists use Macs, &c.
This was to the point of ridiculing the platform and the people working
on it, frequently citing “Linux jokes” such as “you'll probably have to
recompile your kernel first” whenever the question was seriously raised
about when we'd start at least getting the core libraries working.

And when I say it wasn't a priority, I mean that we didn't even have
something that was in a compilable state. A few people had started
fixing up the broken code to get something that would compile on Linux
in their own free time. After a few weeks of hacking, they were told by
management to stop what they were doing and instead focus their
volunteer efforts on the project goals, being to ship a Windows and Mac
version.

So the company began the process of forcefully moving developers who'd
worked on Linux for over 15 years to platforms they felt uncomfortable
and unproductive working on.

This is a much longer tale, but it tells the story of a company
alienating not only their loyal user base, but also a significant
proportion of their own developers. The result? Lack of motivation and
resignations.
version."
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7129955

Warren Post

Feb 23, 2014, 9:21:47 AM2/23/14
On 02/22/2014 07:41 PM, Jens Schuessler wrote:
> * Warren Post <war...@invalid.invalid> [23-02-14 01:16]:
>> On 02/22/2014 06:29 PM, Jens Schuessler wrote:
>>> And that was
>>> my believe even before former developers of Opera on Linux came out and
>>> said so.
>>
>> Do you have URLs? I missed those statements and would like to read what
>> they had to say.

Very eye-opening stuff. Thanks for the URL.