Doesn't anyone hate the new speed dial?

Daniel Pfeiffer

May 18, 2011, 5:49:19 PM5/18/11
Some of the pages I have stored locally continue to display a thumbnail. But
all external ones, and local instances of the makepp documentation display a
little piece of the full size page.

It seems to try to find the logo more or less successfully (though for the
makepp pages it picks the sourceforge logo rather than makepp's own). But
even so the thumbnail looks terrible. Is there an option to get the zoomed
down look of Opera 10 back?

coralament / best Grötens / liebe Grüße / best regards / elkorajn salutojn
Daniel Pfeiffer

--
lerne / learn / apprends / lär dig / ucz się Esperanto:
http://lernu.net / http://ikurso.net

David W. Hodgins

May 18, 2011, 6:50:53 PM5/18/11
On Wed, 18 May 2011 17:49:19 -0400, Daniel Pfeiffer <occ...@esperanto.org> wrote:

> Some of the pages I have stored locally continue to display a thumbnail. But
> all external ones, and local instances of the makepp documentation display a
> little piece of the full size page.

Right click on the image, and select a reload value other then never.
Right click, and select reload.

If desired, right click again, and select reload/never.

Regards, Dave Hodgins

Daniel Pfeiffer

May 24, 2011, 5:44:58 PM5/24/11
to David W. Hodgins
Hi Dave,

la 05/19/2011 12:50 AM David W. Hodgins skribis:

> On Wed, 18 May 2011 17:49:19 -0400, Daniel Pfeiffer <occ...@esperanto.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Some of the pages I have stored locally continue to display a thumbnail. But
>> all external ones, and local instances of the makepp documentation display a
>> little piece of the full size page.
>
> Right click on the image, and select a reload value other then never.
> Right click, and select reload.
>
> If desired, right click again, and select reload/never.

I thought "what in hell is he on about — it has nothing to do with my
question!" I don't know why I tried it, but to my surprise it worked.
Totally unintuitive, but thank you very much for making my speed dial nice again!

Mick

Jun 5, 2011, 4:58:23 PM6/5/11
Daniel Pfeiffer wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> la 05/19/2011 12:50 AM David W. Hodgins skribis:
>> On Wed, 18 May 2011 17:49:19 -0400, Daniel Pfeiffer
>> <occ...@esperanto.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Some of the pages I have stored locally continue to display a thumbnail.
>>> But all external ones, and local instances of the makepp documentation
>>> display a little piece of the full size page.
>>
>> Right click on the image, and select a reload value other then never.
>> Right click, and select reload.
>>
>> If desired, right click again, and select reload/never.
>
> I thought "what in hell is he on about — it has nothing to do with my
> question!" I don't know why I tried it, but to my surprise it worked.
> Totally unintuitive, but thank you very much for making my speed dial nice
> again!

It doesn't work here I'm afraid. :(

Two thumbnails which are links to fastmail & operamail will reload every
time I open or collapse the side panels.
--
Regards,
Mick

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Jun 6, 2011, 1:16:25 AM6/6/11
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

When I looked at this code several weeks ago, there were some strange
rules about reloading speed dials when they changed size. But only if
the speed dial was within a certain zoom range. Maybe this is the
reason? (No, I don't remember which zoom range)

Of course, then I would expect all speed dials to reload, but maybe the
other speed dials reload quickly enough that you don't notice.

eirik

Mick

Jun 6, 2011, 6:14:28 PM6/6/11
Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen wrote:

Oh I see! Perhaps all of them reload, 1/2 of them are very fast indeed
(less that 1 second) but the two I mention take closer to 2 seconds and only
start reloading almost a whole second *after* the browser window size has
been changed.

Is there a way to control the 'zoom range'? My Opera window has 4 columns x
3 rows of thumbs.

--
Regards,
Mick

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Jun 7, 2011, 2:28:22 AM6/7/11
Mick <michael...@nomail.afraid.org> writes:

> Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen wrote:
>
>> When I looked at this code several weeks ago, there were some strange
>> rules about reloading speed dials when they changed size. But only if
>> the speed dial was within a certain zoom range. Maybe this is the
>> reason? (No, I don't remember which zoom range)
>>
>> Of course, then I would expect all speed dials to reload, but maybe the
>> other speed dials reload quickly enough that you don't notice.
>
> Oh I see! Perhaps all of them reload, 1/2 of them are very fast indeed
> (less that 1 second) but the two I mention take closer to 2 seconds and only
> start reloading almost a whole second *after* the browser window size has
> been changed.

Ah, yes. There is a short delay before the reload to avoid reloading
while passing through intervening zoom levels.

> Is there a way to control the 'zoom range'? My Opera window has 4 columns x
> 3 rows of thumbs.

It is possible to lock the zoom level by setting it to "manual" (in the
speed dial configuration dialog). I don't think there are other ways to
limit the zoom range.

eirik

Happy Oyster

Mar 19, 2012, 8:47:37 AM3/19/12
On Wed, 18 May 2011 23:49:19 +0200, Daniel Pfeiffer
<occ...@esperanto.org> wrote:

Neues Paradigma: Ich bin Gott!
http://ariplex.com/folia/archives/281.htm

how...@brazee.net

Jul 7, 2013, 4:52:00 PM7/7/13

I was quite content to ignore the speed dial and use the drop down bookmarks. Apparently I can't do that anymore.

Speed dial is the slowest thing ever implemented in a browser.

I will periodically check to see if someone has a work-around to get back bookmarks and disable the speed dial. Otherwise my long history of being an Opera user and supporter is at an end.

Jorgen Grahn

Jul 8, 2013, 3:55:51 PM7/8/13
On Sun, 2013-07-07, how...@brazee.net wrote:

> I was quite content to ignore the speed dial and use the drop down
> bookmarks. Apparently I can't do that anymore.

Why not? I still have a main menu which says "File, Edit, View,
Bookmarks, Tools, Help". Or do you mean some other mechanism?

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .