news.opera.com propagation fault (was Re: Opera Questions)

Whiskers

Jun 29, 2013, 9:15:48 AM6/29/13
[cross-posted to opera.linux,opera.mail+news Followup-To opera.general]
On 2013-06-29, Whiskers <catwh...@operamail.com> wrote:
> On 2013-06-29, Guy <Use-Reply-To-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote:
>> Whiskers wrote:
>
> [...]
>>>
>>> I think they do. But news.opera.com only carries the opera.*
>>> newsgroups originally created by Opera Software. News.aioe.org
>>> carries a much larger selection of newsgroups, probably including
>>> at least some of the opera.* hierarchy and "peering" directly or
>>> indirectly with news.opera.com (aioe is one of many public
>>> news-servers, but one with some unusual characteristics).
>>>
>>> Most public news-servers seem to carry the opera.* groups, or will
>>> add them if asked.
>>
>> Do you see, on your Usenet server, the post in this
>> thread from Peter Krefting?
>>
>> Subject: Re: Opera Questions
>> From: Peter Krefting
>> Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 01:47:57 -0500
>> Newsgroups: opera.general
>>
>> He made the posting via the Opera news server (see Path header).
>>
>> Here is a screeshot <http://i.imgur.com/VPbg931.png>.
>
> Now there's a thing! I don't think I've ever noticed an article not
> propagating from news.opera.com, and I can't think of any obvious reason
> that it shouldn't; but that one didn't:
>
> $ telnet news.individual.net nntp
> Trying 130.133.4.11...
> Connected to news.individual.net.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 200 The server welcomes 87-127-17-249.static.enta.net (87.127.17.249).
> Authorization required for reading and posting.
> AUTHINFO USER ******
> 381 PASS required
> AUTHINFO PASS ******
> 281 Authentication accepted. (UID=107770)
> ARTICLE <op.wzdmh...@jumalauta.bridgetech.tv>
> 430 No such article
> QUIT
> 205 .
> Connection closed by foreign host.
> $
>
> Articles posted to opera.* groups via other news-servers certainly appear
> on news.opera.com, so "peering" must be happening. If no articles posted
> using news.opera.com are appearing on other news servers now, that suggests
> that a setting has been changed by the administrator of the opera
> news-server (perhaps in error, or ignorance). Otherwise, this looks like
> one of those occasional usenet mysteries.
>
> I'll add news.opera.com to my own 'feed' and see if a pattern emerges.

[later ...]

Interesting; 46 articles in this group seem to have failed to propagate
after being posted to the opera news-server; the oldest is

<op.wyeznny8api1k5@----------.domain-not-set.invalid>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 08:56:01 -0500
From: buzz <please_don...@space.aaaa>
Newsgroups: opera.general
Subject: Where do I back up my Opera email from?

The groups opera.mail+news and opera.linux also seem to have been affected.

I'll send an email to use...@opera.com, and suggest all those whose
articles have been trapped do likewise.

--
-- Whiskers