Still having problems with host name resolution

Martin

Oct 22, 2008, 3:40:06 PM10/22/08

I posted a message in this group in June in which I reported my
observation of Opera being unable to resolve any host names after
running it for about 9 hours. This problem is still not solved, and I
hope I can come up with a new theory and some more information which
can hopefully help to solve this problem.

I found that in our network at work the name server tends to stop
working every now and then. In such cases the behaviour is a bit like
what happens when you try to reach a service which is behind a
firewall - the client hangs until it gets a time out. Somehow this
seemed to always happen in the afternoon back then, but now it seems
to happen more often.

It looks to me as if Opera does not recover from this temporary
failure. Even after the name server has started workin again, with
every page you try to open you'll get a "looking up host name ..." in
the status bar, but you never (or at least not in a time which I was
ready to wait) get the host name resolved. The only thing which helps
in this case is restarting Opera.

Unfortunately I do not have a name server under my control with which
I can enforce the above temporary failure, but maybe anyone out there
can tell me whether my assumption above is too far-fetched to be true?
In any case I do have this problem and I have it almost every day.

Any hint?

Cheers,

Martin

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Oct 24, 2008, 4:05:30 AM10/24/08
Martin <mdi...@gmail.com> writes:

Sounds like a theory that could be worth putting into a bug report.

eirik

Martin

Dec 11, 2008, 3:34:29 PM12/11/08
On 24 Okt., 09:05, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen <ei...@opera.com> wrote:

[...]

> Sounds like a theory that could be worth putting into a bug report.

I did that. Is there any way I can track the status of this bug
report? The problem has not been solved by the latest alpha version.
If I can be of any help trying to track down the source of the
problem, I'd happily volunteer.

Cheers,

Martin

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Dec 12, 2008, 3:44:57 AM12/12/08
Martin <mdi...@gmail.com> writes:

Thanks.

I'm afraid our bug system is input-only for the general public. This
is a big problem. The main reason is that it allows us to say
whatever we want in the bug reports without being worried about
leaking secrets. I think most of us agree that this is a bad
situation, but it isn't obvious how to fix it.

At least, that's how the old system worked. I assume the new system
has the same limitations.

eirik

TimC

Dec 12, 2008, 6:14:46 AM12/12/08
On 2008-12-12, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen (aka Bruce)

> Martin <mdi...@gmail.com> writes:
>> I did that. Is there any way I can track the status of this bug
>> report? The problem has not been solved by the latest alpha version.
>> If I can be of any help trying to track down the source of the
>> problem, I'd happily volunteer.
>
> Thanks.
>
> I'm afraid our bug system is input-only for the general public. This
> is a big problem. The main reason is that it allows us to say
> whatever we want in the bug reports without being worried about
> leaking secrets. I think most of us agree that this is a bad
> situation, but it isn't obvious how to fix it.
>
> At least, that's how the old system worked. I assume the new system
> has the same limitations.

I assume that (given that the fact that my last bug was numbered
240374 in the new stystem and 338604 in the old system) there are
simply too many bugs for there to be a moderator/sanitisor that looks
through all responses to all bugs and releases those that are
appropriate, to the reporter in question?

I'm just surprised that of all the bugs I have submitted, none have
had comments back to me asking for clarification and/or reponses
telling me I am an idiot.

--
TimC
it?" -- Albert Einstein

Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen

Dec 12, 2008, 8:14:49 AM12/12/08
TimC <tcon...@no.spam.accepted.here-astro.swin.edu.au> writes:

> On 2008-12-12, Eirik Byrkjeflot Anonsen (aka Bruce)
>> Martin <mdi...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> I did that. Is there any way I can track the status of this bug
>>> report? The problem has not been solved by the latest alpha version.
>>> If I can be of any help trying to track down the source of the
>>> problem, I'd happily volunteer.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> I'm afraid our bug system is input-only for the general public. This
>> is a big problem. The main reason is that it allows us to say
>> whatever we want in the bug reports without being worried about
>> leaking secrets. I think most of us agree that this is a bad
>> situation, but it isn't obvious how to fix it.
>>
>> At least, that's how the old system worked. I assume the new system
>> has the same limitations.
>
> I assume that (given that the fact that my last bug was numbered
> 240374 in the new stystem and 338604 in the old system) there are
> simply too many bugs for there to be a moderator/sanitisor that looks
> through all responses to all bugs and releases those that are
> appropriate, to the reporter in question?

I think it could be difficult to convince management that this is a
good use of resources... (Or find anyone willing to do that job in
the first place...)

> I'm just surprised that of all the bugs I have submitted, none have
> had comments back to me asking for clarification and/or reponses
> telling me I am an idiot.

:)

It does happen sometimes (though not the idiot part, I hope).
Hopefully it means that we think we know what you mean. But it is of
course up to whoever handles the bug.

eirik

bike...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2013, 4:02:03 PM6/25/13
have same problem for last few versions (11.5-12.1, win7 x64).. very annoying bug ( had to restart opera sometimes for 2-3 times per hour (

Jorgen Grahn

Jun 25, 2013, 4:50:18 PM6/25/13
On Tue, 2013-06-25, bike...@gmail.com wrote:
> have same problem for last few versions (11.5-12.1, win7 x64)
^^^^^^^^
Ok, but note that you're posting to opera.linux.

/Jorgen

--
// Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
\X/ snipabacken.se> O o .